Question about work/life balance whilst in the RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Crowbar, Sep 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings all.

I'm having difficulty making a decision.

I'm currently half way through university. I am looking into applying to be trained as a naval logistics officer. The job looks absolutely fantastic, right up my street. And I understand that it's highly selective, so failing that I would certainly be enthusiastic about training for a different role.

However, I am worried that the navy may not be a path suitable for me, due to the long absences involved. So my question is this. As, for example, a naval officer, for how long are you out to sea, for how long are you at home base, etc? I know there is probably somewhere that divulges this information but I can't find it, d'oh. How is the work/life balance when you have a family?
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. If that much time away is too much then don't join. You will spend a fair amount of time away from your family
  3. Stay a civy.

The navy does expect it's officers to lead and from the front. If you want to put your family first - fair enough but I suggest look for a quiet life outside the service.
  4. You should think more on the lines of becoming a manager at Marks and Spencer's.
    The hours aren't too bad, and it will give you a better chance to get your leg over except during the January sales.
    If you got your wife a job there to you could overcome the problem be visiting the changing rooms on a daily basis.
    Christmas rush would curtail that to a point.
    If you can't have the kids you want because of time away we at RR would be more than happy to arrange a rota for visits to your home for a small consideration.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Succinctly put. (What we wanted to say but were way too polite).
  6. How much time away is a "fair amount"?
  7. A fair amount implies light, so no nights out.
    You need to be careful though as you may need to supply a urine sample and if you have been fornicating your pecker will pong.
    Other than that there is very little to say to someone who comes on here and gives all the reasons he doesn't want to join up.
    Do you argue with yourself all the time, or only in forums?
  8. It's not uncommon for ships to deploy for in excess of six months, a quick turn round, (mini refit etc) then deploy else where.

It's what most of join for, travel, kill a few bad guys, get pissed at tax payers expense!!!!

As well as being deployed, when your ship is getting ready for sea officers probably work long hours even when alongside. It's service life, you also have responsibility for rating under your control and as such you will be expected to support them.

My son made the mistake of thinking he wouldn't go away often or much - he lasted 7 years, family life won. The Navy is a demanding employer. That or you need one hell of an understanding wife, that or she likes you being away!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I'm not bothered about "nights out". I asked about the long periods of absence out to sea.

I see, cheers.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. I think you misinterpret the joke for something genuine
  11. Nah - sarcasm.
  12. As an example.
    In days of old when we had a 'real' navy. I saw my wife for less than six weeks in one year. No doubt others will have examples of less time at home. seven months deployed. another period doing work up at Portland. I lived at Portland and never made it home!! The rest of the time away was training.

Somewhat typical when 'drafted' to a sea going ship.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I misinterpret the joke! =D
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ouch, right. Is that a typical example, or more of a one-off?
  15. Ah sarcasm, the staple diet of Rum Ration:thumbup:
  16. For me - typical. (Note for next life - Stop volunteering for deployments!!!!)

I have an understanding wife. However, now I have left, I have taken a low(er) paid job that gets me home daily.

So as a work life balance - ? First career - RN = long absences. Second career, (Civy) = Home daily.

It worked for me/us.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Haha, okay.

So if a person didn't volunteer for any deployments, and basically tried to stay working in port/shore as much as they could, could you hazard a guess for how long out of each year they would be out to sea?

Sorry for peppering you with questions, you seem to have tons of experience
  18. You jammy bastard how did you manage that, are you writing a book?
    He would have loved my first deployment I went out the fes for nearly two years.
    I recon my family and friends arranged that.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ===============================

One perspective:

I 'married' into the RN long before I was to meet the OH.

ATT She always understood what came first; but that was neither her nor moi.

After 33 yrs the pension hath some compensations...

...must dash - She's I/C now and she wants me two-six :wink:
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Crowbar check your pm's
    • Like Like x 1