Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name it is

I think people are put off being a submariner because, you dont get to see the places you go to, you are away from home for a long time with little contact with home, conditions are feared to be primitive in comparison to those offered to skimmers and not many people will look forward to the tank escape exercises.

Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever

Ah ha, the old misperceptions...
you don't get to see the places you go to, ...that depends, the SSNs get some decent foreign jollies and even the SSBNs have started to do some more interesting stuff
you are away from home for a long time with little contact with home, ...I'm not sure that "away for a long time" is necessarily true (except SSBNs, OK point taken) but the "little contact with home" I'll agree could be seen as a negative aspect (then again.....)
conditions are feared to be primitive in comparison to those offered to skimmers ...perhaps, but it's a much more interesting job. I didn't join up to be pampered, I joined to do the job.
not many people will look forward to the tank escape exercises. ...Interesting, SETT is brilliant and really good fun. Personally, I reckon that the tank is the best fairground ride available ("take a good deep breath, blow out all the way to the surface" or whatever it was) it's certainly a doddle to do, you just breathe, your head's in air all the time, how difficult is that? BTW, it's worth doing the ascent wearing your specs if you need corrected eyesight, that way you get to see what's going on.

scabz said:
not many people will look forward to the tank escape exercises. ...Interesting, SETT is brilliant and really good fun. Personally, I reckon that the tank is the best fairground ride available ("take a good deep breath, blow out all the way to the surface" or whatever it was) it's certainly a doddle to do, you just breathe, your head's in air all the time, how difficult is that? BTW, it's worth doing the ascent wearing your specs if you need corrected eyesight, that way you get to see what's going on.

Would have to agree with scabz, the SETT is great fun, I've also been lucky enough to do fast jet sea drills and the Dunker as well, I'm sure civvies would pay a fortune to do these things, no one should be put off Submarines by the prospect of the SETT.

creeper said:
Would have to agree with scabz, the SETT is great fun, I've also been lucky enough to do fast jet sea drills and the Dunker as well, I'm sure civvies would pay a fortune to do these things, no one should be put off Submarines by the prospect of the SETT.

Great post Scabz! None of those things that Phil posted have put me off!

And Creeper, the SETT hasn't put me off Submarines, but the prospect of your lungs exploding if you cock it up was pretty daunting - But I'm sure you won't go in until THEY know what you're doing!

Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

On S boats doing sneakies we were allowed two family grams and that's it. Two in eight weeks, each 25 words long. That was if they could be fitted on the broadcast, if not, tough. I used to tell my girl that we weren't receiving any this trip due to operational constraints and that I'd see her when we got back.

I also told my folks never ever to send bad news because it wouldn't be given to me anyway and the RO's may see it as well as the CO and how could they live with me if they knew something tragic had taken place in my private life. I found them to be intrusive and when at sea on war patrol
I tried to switch off thoughts of home and just concentrated on getting through the patrol as sane as possible. One idiot made up a calender and he was going to tick the days off as they went by, that got compacted quite soon and he was told not to make another.

Waiting for our relief to come up on the broadcast was tense because until he did we weren't always sure when we'd be relieved. We were always relieved by a Yank boat and he was always going to late because he either had a defect or was trailing something into the area.
Laughable now......not then....deadly serious! Grump factor ten stuff!

I was in the mob for 15 years left as cmea coulda got higher but was bad boy fisty cuffs lol now work ROVS MONEYS GOOD even better than i got on bombers and being diver work bout 8 months of year big difference from the patrols where they were between 14 to 20 weeks was on VIG,VAN,and couple S boats Superb ,and SCEPTRE,NICE BUT COMPACT LOLOL,the fam gram thing my wife could only send crap the ro thought my wife was alchy as alway said had bla blah red wine now the hard work are paying off when i joined i was a Rock APE with 2 sq did near 7 year due to some tart at home having illicit hows your dooberry with neighbour when i was in Bog side Ileft to sort things out so ended up in sm service like my brother the trainings long and the time away long but bit shorter just go for it dude you got nothing to lose apart from hols and xmas and bdays lol only joking i missed 9/11 and the millenium but the missle maries were bit freekin cos of the bug ha but get in get nose down who knows maybe find yourself on a Rov boat in the Gulf of Mexico im spending xmas and noo year in Brazil working but warm mind you i really enjoyed time in SPAG :afro:

ROVENG,
Did you breathe at all during your last entry. I tried reading it and kept thinking of Vicky on Little Britain going on about her mates doing what and to whom.
. Full stop. , comma

As a 'Tiff you shoud've grasped the basics of the English language. Or maybe you were looking for a bite.........ah.....winding my neck in now! :thumright:

ROVENG said:
I was in the mob for 15 years left as cmea coulda got higher but was bad boy fisty cuffs lol now work ROVS MONEYS GOOD even better than i got on bombers and being diver work bout 8 months of year big difference from the patrols where they were between 14 to 20 weeks was on VIG,VAN,and couple S boats Superb ,and SCEPTRE,NICE BUT COMPACT LOLOL,the fam gram thing my wife could only send crap the ro thought my wife was alchy as alway said had bla blah red wine now the hard work are paying off when i joined i was a Rock APE with 2 sq did near 7 year due to some tart at home having illicit hows your dooberry with neighbour when i was in Bog side Ileft to sort things out so ended up in sm service like my brother the trainings long and the time away long but bit shorter just go for it dude you got nothing to lose apart from hols and xmas and bdays lol only joking i missed 9/11 and the millenium but the missle maries were bit freekin cos of the bug ha but get in get nose down who knows maybe find yourself on a Rov boat in the Gulf of Mexico im spending xmas and noo year in Brazil working but warm mind you i really enjoyed time in SPAG :afro:

Could nt understand half of that! sounds like a text message! Think you need a breathalyzer and if you pass it I'm calling the rum ration CDT team or RSPC because a mad ape has escaped.

One is so sorry using a brazilian keyboard only just sussed out the letters never mind the commas etc .I apoligise for misuse of the full stops etc all I was saying was that if get the chance grab it by the balls youll regret it later .

ROVENG.
So what's the weather like DOWN there. Here it's greyyyyyyyyy and miserable with a bit of rain. We didn't have a Summer as such just one elongated blurrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhh yuccchhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Sort of Spring and straight to Autumn. Gloom!

SELJUK said:
On S boats doing sneakies we were allowed two family grams and that's it. Two in eight weeks, each 25 words long. That was if they could be fitted on the broadcast, if not, tough. I used to tell my girl that we weren't receiving any this trip due to operational constraints and that I'd see her when we got back.

Had a newly married oppo so used to give my familly grams to him/ his Mrs, I got em but gave em straight to him. I didn`t want any thing to remind me of home.

Latest Threads