Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name it is

Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

lol good point proud Navy wife - I can't bloody find out how many 3-month deployments you do a year!?!

Can ANYONE give an answer please lol :razz:
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

polariod said:

lol Hooray, thanks Pol!

Does that mean 2 ships are out at all times?

Bloody hell thinking about it, thats 6 months under the waves! Bloody hell that is a quite a lot! Will have to revert back to thinking about Submarines again now!

But then again the Fleet Submarines, do they go under for a total of 6 months a year?
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

ProudNavyWife(tooBe) said:
Now I am gonna guess maybe does that depend on the world sitution?

I dont know! LOL

I think it's best if I ask the AFCO staff.

It's hard work getting answers here!

By the way, it's my birthday today if anyone wants to wish me Happy Birthday. 21 already! :grin:
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

Happy Birthday! my fella just had his on Friday sent him a big helium ballon it now floats around the mess.........oh and a nintendo DS, but the ballon seems to be more popular!

The PO goes so thats what was in the box! its your birthday dont worry about your duty on Sunday we better give the old man a lay in (he is 34 and older then the PO)

So its all good :razz:

enjoy your birthday!
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

If you take one of the V Boats out of the loop for refit, that leaves 3. There's always one on patrol so that's 2 patrols per year. Don't forget each boat has 2 crews so on that basis you'll only (unless you're unlucky and get stitched to go on-crew when you're off-crew) do one of those patrols.

On DP, you have no contact with the outside world except the daily news signal and your familygram.
I believe that prior to a DP everyone signs a chit to give their option should bad news be received. It's sent to the boat when it happens and you have the choice to be told straight away or be told once the boat's been relieved.

I know what I'd go for, imagine being told on day 2 of a 12 week patrol your entire family have been killed. You aren't going anywhere, no matter what.

Spare a thought for the PO(CSM) who will be the first to know this news 3 months before you do!

One of my killicks on my last ship changed to submariner so he could go on bombers purely for the reasons of the programme stability
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

TheCommunicator said:
If you take one of the V Boats out of the loop for refit, that leaves 3. There's always one on patrol so that's 2 patrols per year. Don't forget each boat has 2 crews so on that basis you'll only (unless you're unlucky and get stitched to go on-crew when you're off-crew) do one of those patrols.

On DP, you have no contact with the outside world except the daily news signal and your familygram.
I believe that prior to a DP everyone signs a chit to give their option should bad news be received. It's sent to the boat when it happens and you have the choice to be told straight away or be told once the boat's been relieved.

I know what I'd go for, imagine being told on day 2 of a 12 week patrol your entire family have been killed. You aren't going anywhere, no matter what.

Spare a thought for the PO(CSM) who will be the first to know this news 3 months before you do!

One of my killicks on my last ship changed to submariner so he could go on bombers purely for the reasons of the programme stability

Cheers the Communicator. That does make me feel a BILLION times better.

So let me get this straight - You are MOST LIKELY only going to do ONE of them 3-MONTH patrols per year?

I know it may seem that I'm not cut out for Submarines, but you've got to look at it from my perspective, I'm dying to join Submarines now and I thought for a second that I'd be spending half of the rest of my life under-water with no contact with the family! You have to admit that sounds daunting!? :shock:

I suppose I would feel completely different after 9 months of training before I even enter a Submarine and being used to Navy-life and making friends it wouldn't sound so bad. - But for now... half of the year under water! SHEESH!!!
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

creddly said:
TheCommunicator said:
If you take one of the V Boats out of the loop for refit, that leaves 3. There's always one on patrol so that's 2 patrols per year. Don't forget each boat has 2 crews so on that basis you'll only (unless you're unlucky and get stitched to go on-crew when you're off-crew) do one of those patrols.

On DP, you have no contact with the outside world except the daily news signal and your familygram.
I believe that prior to a DP everyone signs a chit to give their option should bad news be received. It's sent to the boat when it happens and you have the choice to be told straight away or be told once the boat's been relieved.

I know what I'd go for, imagine being told on day 2 of a 12 week patrol your entire family have been killed. You aren't going anywhere, no matter what.

Spare a thought for the PO(CSM) who will be the first to know this news 3 months before you do!

One of my killicks on my last ship changed to submariner so he could go on bombers purely for the reasons of the programme stability

Cheers the Communicator. That does make me feel a BILLION times better.

So let me get this straight - You are MOST LIKELY only going to do ONE of them 3-MONTH patrols per year?

I know it may seem that I'm not cut out for Submarines, but you've got to look at it from my perspective, I'm dying to join Submarines now and I thought for a second that I'd be spending half of the rest of my life under-water with no contact with the family! You have to admit that sounds daunting!? :shock:

I suppose I would feel completely different after 9 months of training before I even enter a Submarine and being used to Navy-life and making friends it wouldn't sound so bad. - But for now... half of the year under water! SHEESH!!!

Creddy Lad,

You have made a lot of posts recently asking very many pertinent question in your search for information about the RN and the Submarine Service. This is very admirable and hopefully will help you to make the most suitable choices in your service career.

The Communicator amogst others has given you a very comprehensive and accurate answer with regard to V boats routine. These are the Submarines that carry the missiles that form Britains Nuclear Deterent.

As the Communicator states if you are sent to one of these boats you will probably do 2 (two) 3 month patrols per year. Whilst on patrol these boats will not surface and the chances of visits to foreign or any other home ports other than their own is Nil while the boat is operational.

The movements of the other class(es) of Submarines will be governed by operational requirement and these boats may well be away from their home port for more than 3 months but the boats may not be dived the whole time they are away. These types of boats may also visit ports other than their home ports occasionally.

If you feel you will have a problem serving on a vessel that is going to be underwater for long periods of time perhaps the Submarine Service is not for you and you should consider a career in surface vessels.

Whatever your choice I wish you well in your chosen path.


Pol
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

polariod said:
creddly said:
TheCommunicator said:
If you take one of the V Boats out of the loop for refit, that leaves 3. There's always one on patrol so that's 2 patrols per year. Don't forget each boat has 2 crews so on that basis you'll only (unless you're unlucky and get stitched to go on-crew when you're off-crew) do one of those patrols.

On DP, you have no contact with the outside world except the daily news signal and your familygram.
I believe that prior to a DP everyone signs a chit to give their option should bad news be received. It's sent to the boat when it happens and you have the choice to be told straight away or be told once the boat's been relieved.

I know what I'd go for, imagine being told on day 2 of a 12 week patrol your entire family have been killed. You aren't going anywhere, no matter what.

Spare a thought for the PO(CSM) who will be the first to know this news 3 months before you do!

One of my killicks on my last ship changed to submariner so he could go on bombers purely for the reasons of the programme stability

Cheers the Communicator. That does make me feel a BILLION times better.

So let me get this straight - You are MOST LIKELY only going to do ONE of them 3-MONTH patrols per year?

I know it may seem that I'm not cut out for Submarines, but you've got to look at it from my perspective, I'm dying to join Submarines now and I thought for a second that I'd be spending half of the rest of my life under-water with no contact with the family! You have to admit that sounds daunting!? :shock:

I suppose I would feel completely different after 9 months of training before I even enter a Submarine and being used to Navy-life and making friends it wouldn't sound so bad. - But for now... half of the year under water! SHEESH!!!

Creddy Lad,

You have made a lot of posts recently asking very many pertinent question in your search for information about the RN and the Submarine Service. This is very admirable and hopefully will help you to make the most suitable choices in your service career.

The Communicator amogst others has given you a very comprehensive and accurate answer with regard to V boats routine. These are the Submarines that carry the missiles that form Britains Nuclear Deterent.

As the Communicator states if you are sent to one of these boats you will probably do 2 (two) 3 month patrols per year. Whilst on patrol these boats will not surface and the chances of visits to foreign or any other home ports other than their own is Nil while the boat is operational.

The movements of the other class(es) of Submarines will be governed by operational requirement and these boats may well be away from their home port for more than 3 months but the boats may not be dived the whole time they are away. These types of boats may also visit ports other than their home ports occasionally.

If you feel you will have a problem serving on a vessel that is going to be underwater for long periods of time perhaps the Submarine Service is not for you and you should consider a career in surface vessels.

Whatever your choice I wish you well in your chosen path.


Pol

Damn, from what I read, he said unless I'm unlucky, I'll only do one of the Patrols.

It's not being under water that bothers me, it's the contacting of the family! lol - I know they'll go wild if they think they can't contact me for months on end two times a year!

Perhaps the T and S classes are the better option for me then. If the V-Class Submarines are submerged for 6 months of the year, that is a bit much! lol

Thanks Pol!
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

You also do sea time during workup as well as patrol, this is during the post maintanance period when you go on-crew and can be a couple of weeks, the overlap on one boat being on patrol and the next taking over is only a week or so, so with 3 boats in the loop with 2 crews each you have 6 crews to go to sea, so you will almost never do two 3 month deployments in 12 months, more like 2 in 18, that is unless your opposite number falls over and you get back to back patrols :roll: so don't go bombers if you're a scribes or SA as there are only 1 on each crew :lol:
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

creeper said:
You also do sea time during workup as well as patrol, this is during the post maintanance period when you go on-crew and can be a couple of weeks, the overlap on one boat being on patrol and the next taking over is only a week or so, so with 3 boats in the loop with 2 crews each you have 6 crews to go to sea, so you will almost never do two 3 month deployments in 12 months, more like 2 in 18, that is unless your opposite number falls over and you get back to back patrols :roll: so don't go bombers if you're a scribes or SA as there are only 1 on each crew :lol:

Lol what's a Sribes or SA? :???:

Well this puts us all in an embarrassing predicament because I've had three different answers now.

It's not being under the sea that bothers me, it's just the Bombers seem a bit 'Routine' and repetitive. Whereas I think the Fleet Submarine would suit me more because it's varied and you get to see more far far away lands! :razz:
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

writers and stores accoutants - my fellas a SA

But on the plus side of V class's you KNOW in 12 weeks YOU WILL BE BACK HOME - this isnt 100% on the other types.

Myself and my fella (soon to be husband and out 8 week old girl) so a family not sure when you say family you mean other half and or children felt that the advantage of this more stable life would be much better then a few phone calls and letters a month on fleet.

We didnt think a few letters/calls a month was worth losing a more stable life for - so think carefully.

After all being apart is very much part of Navy life. My fella went in 22nd Oct, he got back for the birth of out child but so far only had the odd weekend together, this will be the same until July. But you know its really not that bad at all, I know he loves his job and is very excited about the future and therefore when I have a bad day I remember that, it is my job to support him.

After all I we would both rather he was in the Navy and spent some time apart but enjoy are time together rather them him work 60-70 hours a week every week in a crappy resturant to make ends meet like he was.

I was also working 60 odd hours a week, we never saw each other and now although we are apart our time is much nicer and more special, a better quaility of life by far.

and when people ask where my fella is; I say he is in the Royal Navy and I feel very proud,

that was along post just to say, is a few calls/letters worth a less stable life?
 
Re: Question about Tours/Deployment/Missions/whatever name i

ProudNavyWife(tooBe) said:
writers and stores accoutants - my fellas a SA

But on the plus side of V class's you KNOW in 12 weeks YOU WILL BE BACK HOME - this isnt 100% on the other types.

Myself and my fella (soon to be husband and out 8 week old girl) so a family not sure when you say family you mean other half and or children felt that the advantage of this more stable life would be much better then a few phone calls and letters a month on fleet.

We didnt think a few letters/calls a month was worth losing a more stable life for - so think carefully.

After all being apart is very much part of Navy life. My fella went in 22nd Oct, he got back for the birth of out child but so far only had the odd weekend together, this will be the same until July. But you know its really not that bad at all, I know he loves his job and is very excited about the future and therefore when I have a bad day I remember that, it is my job to support him.

After all I we would both rather he was in the Navy and spent some time apart but enjoy are time together rather them him work 60-70 hours a week every week in a crappy resturant to make ends meet like he was.

I was also working 60 odd hours a week, we never saw each other and now although we are apart our time is much nicer and more special, a better quaility of life by far.

and when people ask where my fella is; I say he is in the Royal Navy and I feel very proud,

that was along post just to say, is a few calls/letters worth a less stable life?

lol I'm not married and I haven't got any children so the stability isn't so bad.

I still haven't made my mind up yet. When I get a definite answer about the time spent under-water on Vanguard Class Submarines, I'll make my mind up. It's definitely Submarines for me though - I just gotta decide whether it's Bombers or Fleet :???:

Your husband is very lucky to have a wife like you btw - Most women would cheat or get rid instantly!!!
 
I wouldnt worry about the time you spend on Patrol Creddly as it soons flys by believe me.
As for the bad news bit I can speak from experience there and say they will not tell you that anyone has popped there clogs until you are back alongside.
Also they will not fly you off the boat unless it is a life threatning situation.
We had the Chief of the MCC (Revenge Stbd) flown off as he had appendicitis in Mid patrol,but that is the only time I have heard of anyone get taken off during patrol time.

Also think of all the fun you will have when you go home by not being able to sleep as it is to quiet and your body not realising what day and night is meant to be after 3 months of watchkeeping without a day off.(Apparently I was told that it takes 6 months to pyschologically get over a 3 month patrol,but there you are 3 months after your last patrol back on board !! )

And the smell of your clothes and the colour of your skin when you are on the train home and people looking at you all funny as you are pissed after 2 pints.

Also on your birthday on patrol you will get more than your 3 cans from all your mates and spend the next 3 days with the hangover from hell,and then you have to your Part 3 walkthrough with an officer and have to remember every single valve and what it does and what every switchboard controls and when you go back aft amongst all the hairy arsed stokers they will welcome you with open arms (And a bit more !!)

And when you have passed your Part 3 and have proudly pinned those Dolphins on your Chest you can come back on here and tell us it was all a piece of piss !!

PS Hope this doesnt put you off ???

Then again it might have changed since my day,but I doubt it :mrgreen:
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top