Question about the Royal Marines!

#1
Hello,

If you joined as a Royal Marines Commando, i know you are not commisioned... is it possible to have leadership roles as a commander, if so, how many years after joining can this be expected? And, would it ever be possible to receive a commision later on in your career?

I am not sure which to join yet either commando or officer, As an officer in the officer selection do you have to be fitter than the commando's on entrance? I know you need 3 GCSE's and 2 A-Levels... is more influence put on the physical side rather than education???

Many thanks,
Jamie.
 

wet_blobby

War Hero
Moderator
#2
hello jlong,

You would join up as a recruit, IF you make it through training and complete your cdo course you will be a Royal Marine Commando. You can become a rupert later in your career, you either become Corps commisioned which means its back to the box and they train you all over again or you become what was (is?) known as an SD officer, you would have to be a senior NCO to take this option and pretty switched on.

You'd be suprised at the amount of lads with multiple GCSE, A levels etc that are knocking around in the ranks.

Remember, a wupert is for life, not just for christmas.
 
#3
Hmmm ok that sort of answered my question's. Thanks for the help! I think i would just be best joining as an officer then... tried to make most of it out of what you said.

Cheers.
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
#5
Because, apparently, it's nice to be nice and not nice to be curt with potential recruits asking questions they consider important, I suggest you read these. Some aren't particularly informative but I've no doubt that if you spend an hour reading them your questions will be either answered or original!

Don't join as a Recruit unless you have to.

IMD

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=3478/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=9277.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=7630.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=7104.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=4519.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=3957.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=2057.html
 
#6
In_my_day said:
Because, apparently, it's nice to be nice and not nice to be curt with potential recruits asking questions they consider important, I suggest you read these. Some aren't particularly informative but I've no doubt that if you spend an hour reading them your questions will be either answered or original!

Don't join as a Recruit unless you have to.

IMD

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=3478/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=9277.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=7630.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=7104.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=4519.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=3957.html
http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=2057.html
IMD you're not going for MOD are you?
NZB
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#7
Hello jlong, Welcome,

A swift outline:

Not sure where you got 3 GCSE's & 2 A levels. To be academically qualified to join as an Officer it's currently a MINIMUM of 5 GCSE's (Including Maths & English) Grade C upwards & 140 UCAS points at A2 Level.

Once you've joined it's a MINIMUM of 5 GCSE's (Including Maths & English) Grade C upwards to be academically qualified for Officer. You may apply at any time after joining.

As has been stated previously many apply few are taken & yes it's more demanding physically, to become a Royal Marines Commando Officer.

Good luck, whatever you choose.
 
#8
Ok then thanks for the reply!

Could i just ask, it isn't important at the moment, but sometimes it is wise to think about these things for the future... Pay starts £15,677 - 26,664 the RM website says, i take it you start on the 15k and then can it increase to 26k without any promotion (remaining marine rank)? It says Corporal's get £24,328 - 30,573, roughly when can you expect promotion to corporal, after how many years? Also with promotion to corporal as a commando can you be given leadership responsibilities? If so, what sort of responsibilities can these vary from? Also, can you be given leadership as a marine rank? (I very much doubt it, but no question is a silly one in my mind!).

And one last thing, if joined as commando, can you apply for a commision later on in your career? If so, even though you've been a commando, do you still need the educational requirements (5 gcse's, 2 a-leveles)or do they let u off seen as uve got commando experience???

Thanks for your time all,
Cheers, jamie!
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#9
Jamie,

Pay starts as follows:

When you're doing the 32 week training course you will be earning £12,572, or £241.70/week or around £190/week after all deductions.

When you complete the training you'll go on to earn:
Marine £15,677 - 26,664
Corporal £24,328 - 30,573
Sergeant £27,653 - 34,025
Colour Sergeant /
Warrant Officer 2 £30,611 - 39,851
Warrant Officer 1 £35,565 - 43,077

Promotion to Corporal is down to the individual, but is usually after over 4 years service, seldom before. I'd worry about passing selection & completing Commando training before worrying about a Corporal's responsibilities, suffice to say they are many & yes, you undertake a Junior Command Course (management training). All Royal Marines, at all ranks, are trained in leadership & given many leadership responsibilities from early in their career.

Pay increases annually, without promotion by about £1.2k per annum over 9 years, after that it remains the same apart from inflation pay rises.

As for your other questions with regard officer selection & required qualifications, my previous post refers:

"Once you've joined it's a MINIMUM of 5 GCSE's (Including Maths & English) Grade C upwards to be academically qualified for Officer. You may apply at any time after joining."

You are quite correct that there is no such thing as a silly question, providing it is only asked once.

Good luck in your chosen career!
 
#10
Thanks. Ok, so if your already a recruit you can apply at any time aslong as you have 5 gcse's incld. maths, english, but u dont need the A-Levels. Many thanks dude!
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
#11
NZ_Bootneck said:
IMD you're not going for MOD are you?
NZB
No thank you. I was just amazed, as normal, that questions are repeatedly asked but it appears the questioner hasn't bothered/failed/the gumption to look/search elsewhere first; then if neccessary ask a supplementary question. HOWEVER, recalling all the c#$p in the various threads about the mods, VIP(ITOM) people resigning RR membership with a flourish and the importance of being nice, I thought I had better be civil and helpful rather than tell him he was a numpty and an important part of leadership at any rank is self reliance!! Hey ho, last Tuesday before the weekend.

IMD
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#12
Fair comments IMD, but we also have to remember the person asking the question may be quite young.

I'm not aware of the age of this original poster, however it's not unusual to have questions emailed from 12 year-olds at the AFCOs & even primary school children on occasion, surprising as it may seem.

Appreciate this site is unofficial, however courtesey costs nothing.
 
#14
In_my_day said:
NZ_Bootneck said:
IMD you're not going for MOD are you?
NZB
No thank you. I was just amazed, as normal, that questions are repeatedly asked but it appears the questioner hasn't bothered/failed/the gumption to look/search elsewhere first; then if neccessary ask a supplementary question. HOWEVER, recalling all the c#$p in the various threads about the mods, VIP(ITOM) people resigning RR membership with a flourish and the importance of being nice, I thought I had better be civil and helpful rather than tell him he was a numpty and an important part of leadership at any rank is self reliance!! Hey ho, last Tuesday before the weekend.

IMD
even when they resign they still prowl around looking under stones and in corners. Someone gave me a ticking off the other day in (ANOTHER PLACE) because they thought a post I did was ALL about them - god and they say women are hormonal


:smilebox:


oops sorry - rampant thread drift :)
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
#15
golden_rivet said:
oops sorry - rampant thread drift :)
Try this then...

Seadog

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:03 pm Post subject: Re: what do you really hate to hear people say?

'I'm off, had enough, leaving Rum Ration, not going to make a dig deal but.............

(one very big deal later)..............

............... and I won't be back.'
_________________

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: what do you really hate to hear people say?

Followed by;

noooooooooooooooo, please stay,you're brills, a wit, a character, won't be the same without you (too right), we've had our differences but....

Top posts by the way Seadog.

IMD
 
#16
Ninja_Stoker said:
Jamie,

Pay starts as follows:

When you're doing the 32 week training course you will be earning £12,572, or £241.70/week or around £190/week after all deductions.

When you complete the training you'll go on to earn:
Marine £15,677 - 26,664
Corporal £24,328 - 30,573
Sergeant £27,653 - 34,025
Colour Sergeant /
Warrant Officer 2 £30,611 - 39,851
Warrant Officer 1 £35,565 - 43,077

Promotion to Corporal is down to the individual, but is usually after over 4 years service, seldom before. I'd worry about passing selection & completing Commando training before worrying about a Corporal's responsibilities, suffice to say they are many & yes, you undertake a Junior Command Course (management training). All Royal Marines, at all ranks, are trained in leadership & given many leadership responsibilities from early in their career.

Pay increases annually, without promotion by about £1.2k per annum over 9 years, after that it remains the same apart from inflation pay rises.

As for your other questions with regard officer selection & required qualifications, my previous post refers:

"Once you've joined it's a MINIMUM of 5 GCSE's (Including Maths & English) Grade C upwards to be academically qualified for Officer. You may apply at any time after joining."

You are quite correct that there is no such thing as a silly question, providing it is only asked once.

Good luck in your chosen career!
Just had another query in line with this, do you get pay increments in regards to spec quals etc etc.?
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#17
Ozzymick said:
Just had another query in line with this, do you get pay increments in regards to spec quals etc etc.?
All RM SQ's are qualified as Higher or Lower pay band & the annual incremental pay rise is paid on each anniversary of qualifying which is your Seniority Date.

You are not paid extra to be a Driver, Assault Engineer, Heavy Weapons etc., etc, other than the higher or lower pay banding, however if you get Specialist Pay (Parachute, Flying, SF) you get an Armed Forces Pay Review Body (AFPRB) inflation rise around April each year.
 
#18
And with a transfer or re-enlistment from the Army or other service, would your last pay level follow?
Sorry for my ignorance these are genuine queries as I have thought about joining and would suffer a loss of pay but was hoping to be able to make it up after training with my previous skills and experience.
 
#19
One other question - Roughly after how many years, or usually when can you specialise in a specific area? And, does it bring any pay increasements with it?
 

timex

Lantern Swinger
#20
Ozzymick said:
And with a transfer or re-enlistment from the Army or other service, would your last pay level follow?
Sorry for my ignorance these are genuine queries as I have thought about joining and would suffer a loss of pay but was hoping to be able to make it up after training with my previous skills and experience.
Afraid not, you start from square one. However with your "experience" you may progress quicker than others, a lot depends on your qualifications (mil).

One other question - Roughly after how many years, or usually when can you specialise in a specific area? And, does it bring any pay increasements with it?
You can go straight into some SQ's (chef, Clerk,Sigs and Driver), for most of the others you require a bit of Unit experience first. (not sure about the HW Branch).


Shaun
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads