Question about the navy undergraduate apprenticeship scheme

InstaDan

Lantern Swinger
With regard the grammar on the RN website, the "you're" howler was recorded across several webpages and I've been systematically trying to hunt them down for the webmaster to correct. Agree, it's pretty poor, particularly when referring to academics. If you'd be so kind as to post a link, I'll get on the case.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...vice/undergraduate-apprenticeship-scheme-ugas

It's in the eligibility section, about two-thirds of the way down the page.

The scheme looks like a cracking opportunity though. Just out of interest for you Leading Hands and above of engineering trades;

Do you cover calculus in your Leading Hand/PO/CPO courses? I've always wondered how people top up to full degrees in only a year when I've never heard a senior rate utter anything about taking integrals (doesn't mean they haven't done it mind, just that they probably don't want to take about it (and I can't blame them)).

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...vice/undergraduate-apprenticeship-scheme-ugas

It's in the eligibility section, about two-thirds of the way down the page.

The scheme looks like a cracking opportunity though. Just out of interest for you Leading Hands and above of engineering trades;

Do you cover calculus in your Leading Hand/PO/CPO courses? I've always wondered how people top up to full degrees in only a year when I've never heard a senior rate utter anything about taking integrals (doesn't mean they haven't done it mind, just that they probably don't want to take about it (and I can't blame them)).

Certainly back in the day when I completed my artificer apprenticeship in weapon engineering we did calculus among other subjects. Some of the advanced electronics we had to do was a complete mind f**k.

You are right though, you would never hear a LH/PO/CPO discuss or actually use that theory.

Anyone remember Red Ken from Collingrad who taught control engineering? He had a love of mechies and hatred of tiffies and was mightily peed off when most of the tiffies got higher marks in his class.

Corvus

Midshipman
The thing to bear in mind is you'll be undertaking blocks of "on job training" which basically means "working on a submarine", not spending three years in a university lecture hall or engineering workshop, once you have completed the initial phase one and two (basic & trade training), followed by professional shore-based trade & management qualifying courses

The pay, is as stated, day one.

With regard the grammar on the RN website, the "you're" howler was recorded across several webpages and I've been systematically trying to hunt them down for the webmaster to correct. Agree, it's pretty poor, particularly when referring to academics. If you'd be so kind as to post a link, I'll get on the case.

Thanks a lot. Very informative and concise. It sounds like a great opportunity and I'm definitely considering making an application. Just one quick question, as someone who currently lives in London, would accommodation near HMS Raleigh be a challenge to find?

InstaDan

Lantern Swinger
Certainly back in the day when I completed my artificer apprenticeship in weapon engineering we did calculus among other subjects. Some of the advanced electronics we had to do was a complete mind f**k.

You are right though, you would never hear a LH/PO/CPO discuss or actually use that theory.

Anyone remember Red Ken from Collingrad who taught control engineering? He had a love of mechies and hatred of tiffies and was mightily peed off when most of the tiffies got higher marks in his class.

I did calculus on Mechs course, I've used it loads of times since (not!!)

I did when I studied with the OU, did I remember Mechs course, did I buggery.

Thanks for clarifying that shippers. I can see why they would like to teach it, and it is useful for if you want to top up to a full degree. I guess day to day though, calculus is only used in the research and design side of things.