Question about the navy undergraduate apprenticeship scheme

Just a quick question for anyone who knows about the navy UGAS. The scheme is seven years long and is split into three parts. The first three years are intensive training, the second three years are active duty, and the last year is when you qualify with your degree. I read on the website that you are paid £30,000 from day one each year.

Just to clarify, Is this just for the three years that you are on active duty or is this for the full seven years?

@Ninja_Stoker will hopefully be along to clarify, but the dit on the website says:

• £31,100 is how much you will earn from day one.
  • Start your career as a Probationary Leading Hand, undertaking 3½ years of training and education, learning how our systems work and qualifying as a Petty Officer. You’ll then complete a minimum of 3 years’ active service on a submarine, getting hands-on with our most advanced kit. Your tailored career then finishes with a one-year in-service university course.
Which makes it seem like you are on that wage from the day you get to Raleigh.

You'll be on "active duty" the entire 7 years from the looks of it. It's just the first 3 years will be spent in the Royal Navy training schools or completing taskbooks on boats I'm guessing.

Sumo

War Hero
Type UGAS into the search, lots in there, you may find your answers ?
A good scheme if you can get on it, as with all these recruitment pushes, once they have their quota, they may stop it, if your interested go for it.
You will find that £31k is starting, they're will be increments at set times, when you are a full leading hand, PO etc. Plus annual pay rises.
Good luck.

Let's just hope your spelling and grammar are better than whoever made the webpage;

"If you take you’re a-levels after the start of 2017, you need 64 UCAS points gained through Level 3 STEM qualifications in an engineering discipline, or maths and at least one other physical science, engineering, or computing subject. Before 2017, you need 160 UCAS points."

"You must be a British or a dual national"

Doesn't scream professionalism.

Sumo

War Hero
Let's just hope your spelling and grammar are better than whoever made the webpage;

"If you take you’re a-levels after the start of 2017, you need 64 UCAS points gained through Level 3 STEM qualifications in an engineering discipline, or maths and at least one other physical science, engineering, or computing subject. Before 2017, you need 160 UCAS points."

"You must be a British or a dual national"

Doesn't scream professionalism.
Don't be picky the web page designer has a job the Op is trying to find one?

Sounds like a beefed up Artificer scheme!

We only did one year sea training after 3 years in Collingrad followed by another year or so before out to the fleet. All told it was about 5 yrs to become a PO.

Still, it sounds like a good apprenticeship and coming out with a degree probably speeds up the ratings route to officer.

@Ninja_Stoker will hopefully be along to clarify, but the dit on the website says:

• £31,100 is how much you will earn from day one.
  • Start your career as a Probationary Leading Hand, undertaking 3½ years of training and education, learning how our systems work and qualifying as a Petty Officer. You’ll then complete a minimum of 3 years’ active service on a submarine, getting hands-on with our most advanced kit. Your tailored career then finishes with a one-year in-service university course.
Which makes it seem like you are on that wage from the day you get to Raleigh.

You'll be on "active duty" the entire 7 years from the looks of it. It's just the first 3 years will be spent in the Royal Navy training schools or completing taskbooks on boats I'm guessing.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The thing to bear in mind is you'll be undertaking blocks of "on job training" which basically means "working on a submarine", not spending three years in a university lecture hall or engineering workshop, once you have completed the initial phase one and two (basic & trade training), followed by professional shore-based trade & management qualifying courses

The pay, is as stated, day one.

With regard the grammar on the RN website, the "you're" howler was recorded across several webpages and I've been systematically trying to hunt them down for the webmaster to correct. Agree, it's pretty poor, particularly when referring to academics. If you'd be so kind as to post a link, I'll get on the case.

With regard the grammar on the RN website, the "you're" howler was recorded across several webpages and I've been systematically trying to hunt them down for the webmaster to correct. Agree, it's pretty poor, particularly when referring to academics. If you'd be so kind as to post a link, I'll get on the case.
Probably written by a Schoolie

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...vice/undergraduate-apprenticeship-scheme-ugas

It's in the eligibility section, about two-thirds of the way down the page.

The scheme looks like a cracking opportunity though. Just out of interest for you Leading Hands and above of engineering trades;

Do you cover calculus in your Leading Hand/PO/CPO courses? I've always wondered how people top up to full degrees in only a year when I've never heard a senior rate utter anything about taking integrals (doesn't mean they haven't done it mind, just that they probably don't want to take about it (and I can't blame them)).

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...vice/undergraduate-apprenticeship-scheme-ugas

It's in the eligibility section, about two-thirds of the way down the page.

The scheme looks like a cracking opportunity though. Just out of interest for you Leading Hands and above of engineering trades;

Do you cover calculus in your Leading Hand/PO/CPO courses? I've always wondered how people top up to full degrees in only a year when I've never heard a senior rate utter anything about taking integrals (doesn't mean they haven't done it mind, just that they probably don't want to take about it (and I can't blame them)).
Certainly back in the day when I completed my artificer apprenticeship in weapon engineering we did calculus among other subjects. Some of the advanced electronics we had to do was a complete mind f**k.

You are right though, you would never hear a LH/PO/CPO discuss or actually use that theory.

Anyone remember Red Ken from Collingrad who taught control engineering? He had a love of mechies and hatred of tiffies and was mightily peed off when most of the tiffies got higher marks in his class.

The thing to bear in mind is you'll be undertaking blocks of "on job training" which basically means "working on a submarine", not spending three years in a university lecture hall or engineering workshop, once you have completed the initial phase one and two (basic & trade training), followed by professional shore-based trade & management qualifying courses

The pay, is as stated, day one.

Thanks a lot. Very informative and concise. It sounds like a great opportunity and I'm definitely considering making an application. Just one quick question, as someone who currently lives in London, would accommodation near HMS Raleigh be a challenge to find?

Certainly back in the day when I completed my artificer apprenticeship in weapon engineering we did calculus among other subjects. Some of the advanced electronics we had to do was a complete mind f**k.

You are right though, you would never hear a LH/PO/CPO discuss or actually use that theory.

Anyone remember Red Ken from Collingrad who taught control engineering? He had a love of mechies and hatred of tiffies and was mightily peed off when most of the tiffies got higher marks in his class.
I did calculus on Mechs course, I've used it loads of times since (not!!)
I did when I studied with the OU, did I remember Mechs course, did I buggery.
Thanks for clarifying that shippers. I can see why they would like to teach it, and it is useful for if you want to top up to a full degree. I guess day to day though, calculus is only used in the research and design side of things.