Question about required active service

Hi

I'm trying to find out how exactly active service is defined. I tried calling my afco today but they were busy.

For example, I was looking at ugas, and if I remember correctly in the conditions it was claimed that 3 and a half years of active service on a submarine was required after training. My question is - does this literally mean you need to accrue 3 1/2 years of total time on a submarine at sea, or just 3 1/2 years in service (excluding holidays)?

Due to the wording I believed it was the former, but my uncle insists it would be just 3 1/2 years from the day you go to raleigh. He's never worked in the military nor does he know anyone who does, but he has confused me now and I can't find any answer to this.

Last edited:

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
The term "active military, naval, or air service" is defined as "active duty and any period of active duty for training during which the individual concerned was disabled or died from a disease or injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty." Hayes v. Shinseki, 2009 U.S. App. Vet. Claims LEXIS 1777 (U.S. App. Vet. Cl. Oct. 9, 2009)e
This is the US determination.
Not sure if we have one

Thanks for your reply. I found what I was referring to here. It was 3 years, not 3 1/2 -

• Start your career as a Probationary Leading Hand, undertaking 3½ years of training and education, learning how our systems work and qualifying as a Petty Officer. You’ll then complete a minimum of 3 years’ active service on a submarine, getting hands-on with our most advanced kit. Your tailored career then finishes with a one-year in-service university course.
So that's a total of 7 1/2 years that's been stated. However, it's the 'active service on a submarine' which is making me believe that I would actually need to be in service for longer than a total of 7 1/2 years. I don't know if time spent working when at home would count towards that. I suppose I should call the afco again tomorrow, feel a bit daft asking them such a pedantic question though.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
It means a 3 year 'assignment' to a submarine, so will include time spent on leave etc. There's no guarantee that it will be to the same submarine mind you; you may be assigned to where you're needed. But the clock won't re-start. You may want to ask your AFCO what your 'Return of Service' is . This is the period of time you must complete after training, and seems to be the bit you're concerned about?

Yes I suppose it is. I'm assuming that 3 years stated is the Return of Service. I'll definitely call them tomorrow to double check. Thanks for the replies, it's a lot clearer to me now.

I've been looking at this scheme for a while now and I recently decided this is what I want to do. I hope I get through - I'm eligible but have very little experience after completing my MN cadetship last year. I'm assuming it must be very difficult to get into.