Question about leave

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by clarj004, Oct 14, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm currently in the process of joining the navy as a ETWE and recent circumstances have changed. Having looked on other posts I've read that you'll get some weekends off which is great.

However the problem is my family are relocating from London to Belfast, so I was wondering how this would work in regards to using your additional leave; would they allow you to take a Monday or a Friday off as a single day or would they make sure you take it as a block? This is only because I've looked at flights from Southampton to Belfast and the times aren't that great, and forking out £100 to see them for a few hours rather than a full weekend doesn't seem too cost efficient to me!

All helpful comments will be taken on board, cheers.

2. You might be better flying from Exeter. Much shorter train journey from Plymouth than Plymouth - Southampton.

3. I doubt it, although you never know. :) It's the Duty watch thing.

4. Cheers lads, to be fair completely forgot about Exeter, no flights out on a Saturday (luckily there is for the return on Sunday) but thinking could get early train to Bristol, any idea what time you'll usually finish up on a Friday, could even be worth a late night flight if there's enough time.

5. Try Flybe - I've done Plymouth - Belfast on a Saturday.

6. Different ships work different routines. We used to work an extra hour a day during the week in order to finish at 12:00 on a Friday

7. Excellent, cheers to the both of you, this should be a lot easier than I first thought then. If that 12:00 finish applies to me could be in the local by 16:00. Happy days:D

8. Speaking to your boss is always a good move, see what can be arranged locally but at the end of the day you are joining the Navy, there is only so much slack can be given, best to play it by ear and take what you can get?

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think that Plymouth airport has shut down.

10. Plymouth Airport has shut, to the OP, you used to get travelling time if you lived over a certain distance away, I don't know if it still applies.

11. Only main leave periods I think wrecks.

12. That was always the case

13. He was asking about weekenders

14. My bad, thought he meant main leave. he's dipped then!

15. It has,but see my post # 2

16. on board (outside of duty watchbills) you should be able AT TIMES to work what is called the core working week.
    work later Mon-Thurs to get Friday off.

Obviously, ships programme and duties will impact that but you should be able to get a little flex in the working week.