Question about joining.

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Jock92, Aug 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I used my pvr in may to leave the navy , and got my letter saying i couldn't re-apply until 2 years has passed. I was just wondering if it was just the navy i couldnt apply for or is it the marines aswell?

2. Hi There, how long were you in the Navy?, i think that it will be the same for all forces but i am not able to give you a definate answer, contact your AFCO and have a chat to them about, also there are people on here that may be able to help you

Hope this helps

and good luck

scarface2009

3. Hmm - your letter should specifically state which service - I imagine that in the absence of this information then as you were in the RN then it has to be the RN that you are excluded from for 24 months. The problem here is that the RM are part of the RN so really you may need to speak to a careers advisor for further, and more importantly, correct info.

4. @Scarface I was in for just over 2 months. Also thanks for those reply's ill go over the letter and see.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...I wouldn't even take the lid off my pen to write out a warrant from Paddington! :wink:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

When an individual submits their right to "opt out" (or requests PVR), the Commanding Officer will write to state whether you may rejoin & under what conditions.

As correctly stated above, the Royal Marines are part of the Royal Navy & as such the same rules apply, so two years it is.

The good news is that the rules do not apply for the Army or RAF, however it isn't uncommon for Royal Marines to be discharged with a statement along the lines of "Not recommended further service in the Royal Marines, but maybe considered suitable to apply for other services in XX months". Those discharged from the RM under such a caveat may rejoin the RN, but not the RM.

7. Two Months?

Thats a long time compared to the long-haired wassock in my entry who minced into the RALEIGH dining halll for the Day Zero evening meal (Oct 1960!).

Amidst all the catcalls and guffaws he didn't even make the galley counter; he just turned around and minced straight out again.

I think even Tony Blackburn lasted longer than that guy.

Old messdeck saying - "If at first you don't succeed - Wrap your claw in!"

Seriously though, all the very best with your second attempt at the RN/RM.

8. Probably better to do that than waste everyone's time by enlisting, ******* about, going off sick then getting discharged. Atleast he never actually joined as he'd not enlisted yet.