Question about history and Yellow Flag

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Guest, Oct 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find some info in the internet about this, but to no avail. Perhaps you can help me...

Do you know when was the Yellow Flag first used (aprox.) as a "court martial in session" signal? I'm trying to write an article about it, but I can't find any bibliography for such a specific topic.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
  2. To get decent responces (or indecent) it might be a good idea and polite to get a username / profile.
    Just a hint
  3. I didn't realise that you could post as a guest. Doesn't seem right.

4. I didn't use username/profile because I am not registered. The reason I didn't register before asking was that I probably will not be a very active user, so I considered it improper to register just for one message, since there is the possibility to post as a guest :)

Surely, you wouldn't want me to go register now and post again the same message, right? :D

In any case, if someone can help, I'd appreciate it. Regards to all 8)
  5. Hi S_F,

I've just posted the previous info (museum etc) as a 'post reply' and it seems to work - perhaps the mods, in their infinite wisdom, can answer this :?
  6. Flob-a-lob-a-lob!! It's all garden greek to me mate. :?

7. SF dear, have a bit of a lay down with a damp tea cloth over your face. Take plenty of deep breaths and go to your happy place.

Love RC x
  8. I keep telling you my happy place is about 3500 miles away and they won't let me go. All the bloody chicken and rice isn't helping either.

When will this madness end? :cry:

9. Hey, just realised - Rosie blew me a kiss. Step aside boys, I think I've pulled.
    Think my happy place has just changed. :D :wink:

10. SF let me make this quite plain! you have not pulled. You would know if you had pulled as you would be naked and masking taped to the floor and smeared in cat food.

Now take charge of yourself please!
  11. Now there you go again with the whole naked, masking tape and cat food thing. There are some of us here who are genuinely worried about you, you know. 8O

Given the cat food angle, I think I'll take a rain check on your kind offer. Another time, eh? :wink:

12. I have a yellow flag flying outside my house for all the lucky laydeez to find me !!
  13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Declining the generous offer of whiskers and pussies then? :wink:
  14. Is this the same Sam DiCosta - friend of pam
  15. I thank you all for your replies. :) I will try the Royal Naval Museum, as suggested.

Kind Regards
  16. Maybe this is where the Yellow Flag and court martial comes from.

"Court Martial Gun"The Court-Martial gun (known unofficially as the "Rogue's Salute" or a "One-gun salute") is the signal gun fired at `Colours' on the morning of the day on which a naval court-martial has been ordered to assemble. A Union flag is flown from the peak halliards (at the yard arm in a single-masted ship) while the Court is sitting. In bygone days it was customary to fire a gun to muster on deck all hands in all ships present to witness a yard-arm execution; a yellow flag was hoisted and kept flying until the sentence has been carried out. When keel-hauling was a recognised punishment, a single gun was fired over the head of the malefactor as he was about to emerge from the water, `which is done as well to astonish him the more with the thunder thereof, which much troubles him, as to give warning unto all others to look out

Lifted from Pussers own site.

Just under Guzz