Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about BMI & Fitness - Medical

Spawning

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is an exact bmi requirement?

I've been going to the gym for the last 3 years and have always been big built, Everyone that I see out says i'm built like a tank, I have a small belly but im very broad shouldered and can lift a hell of alot, I'm 6ft and last time i checked on the Wii i weighed 17 stone 6lbs although i don't look it? which puts me in the obese category of 33, 35 is medically obese.

Although i still am physically fit and can run my mile and a half in 11 minutes, i also wear glasses, will this effect my medical? will i get rejected because of my BMI?

Applying for AET.

Thanks

Talking Baggage

Lantern Swinger
I can't quote the bmi figure, however yes there is a limit.
Rather than getting an amateur opinion on here, best to talk to the Doctor at your Medical - he/she is the expert and will advise you should you require to lose weight etc.
In terms of fitness 11:13 is the male under 25 pass time.

Spawning

Thanks for the reply, and yeah that seems to be what i keep reading, I applied for AET around 2 years ago now and passed my RT back then and now they've said they can process me, If i fail the medical will I have to restart the process over again and wait another 2 years? If not how long do I have to lose some weight?

Talking Baggage

Lantern Swinger
In the medical you will be passed fit, temporarily unfit or permanently unfit. The middle option should merely pause your application, not require it to be restarted. The latter option is obviously end of the line....
Th exact that you are now being processed means you shouldn't be too far off getting a place on PRNC and eventually a place at Raleigh (all being well).
Good luck!

EarlyChop

War Hero
17 stone and 1.5m in 11mins is pretty good. I'm not sure what the doctors do with say, bodybuilders who are often way outside the bmi range for normal but have lower body fat. Tbh BMI is a load of crap when not combined with a body fat test, unless of course you look like Vanessa Feltz.

It can't hurt to lose as much fat before raleigh as possible tho can it? It will only make everything easier.

builderbambi

Lantern Swinger
Without sounding like a knob I would say 1.5m in 11 mins isn't what I would call fit, it's a pass for sure, bear in mind that 11.13 is minimal fitness level for under 25's.

A

angrydoc

This topic has been done to death - please use the search function.

I don't care if it's muscle or fat- the effect on your joints is the same and your risk of early arthritis is the same. BMI isn't as crap as some make it out to be. Yes, professional rugby players have "obese" BMIs but their knees are trashed by mid-30s.

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
Im 6 foot and when i went for my medical i was just outside the Max BMI figure, but the doc said he was gonna use his "doctors discrection" and passed me as medically fit...think i was about 14 stone at the time mate, so i reckon you might struggle at 17.

birdieb

Midshipman
I had a BMI of 27.4 (5 foot 8, 180 pounds) when I did my medical and was borderline (33" waist so far from overweight). Doc recommended I lose a stone so I have (165 pounds, BMI of 25), in the mean time I did my PJFT with a time of 9min 57secs which I wouldn't call great.

Also worth remembering the doc will be seeing you practically naked so will be able to tell if you're overweight.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Royal Marines BMI/weight question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Medals Question Blogs 4
A Question for the Naval Engineers Submariners 2
D Sorry for an eyesight question Joining the Royal Navy 31
P Dumb Question too scared to ask the CPO Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
P Question for HM officers and those with an in-service degree Joining the Royal Navy 3
U Quick question about paying off foreign RFA 2
MoD_RSS Parliament approves veterans question in next Census MoD News 0
F Question about NSRT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
H Chef question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Medical question regarding an allergic reaction (sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
L Just a question regarding the initial officer interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Public given power to question ‘lenient’ prison sentences MoD News 0
J pre-joining question regarding medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Turkey military action in Syria: Urgent Question opening statement MoD News 0
S Comms apprentice training question RFA 1
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42 - General Comment on the Question of the Death Penalty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Rootstech London 2019 MoD News 0
A Question regarding pre-joining medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Question about Qualifications from Ireland Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Ask a silly question… MoD News 0
R Bit of an unusual question The Fleet 27
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
Max9393 Tattoo question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
SnowGoose Intake question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
P Question: CD/ESD/UD/LD/TD in RNVR service Nos. History 4
LeedsBornLeedsBred Question regarding 4K squad run at PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
U Question about paperwork to bring to Raleigh RFA 6
Maxpowers FAC and Shotgun cert holder question. Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
S Question about medical test for navy rating recruits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
W RFA medical question RFA 2
T Intriguing Forces Question Diamond Lil's 18
Q Medical Record Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
U Interview soon, question about facial hair RFA 9
NotNickCarter Edinburgh Tattoo (2018) a question Current Affairs 3
Edward-t Question about eye surgery Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Question to any current/ex divers - Best ways to equalise? Joining the Royal Navy 4
S Question about allowances The Gash Barge 9
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
R Question regarding medical and headaches Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
John25 WW1 Medal Question History 6
D Question on nationality Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 53
R Phase 2 question Joining the Royal Navy 33
C Question regarding UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S "Accepted equivalents" RN Officer Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Medical question Joining the Royal Navy 4
P Medical question...joining up? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1