Quest TV channel: Devonport

Darb

Lantern Swinger
Got half way through the HMS Protector coverage & stopped viewing. Could not belive how gormless and uninformed the Lt "Gunnery Officer" was. He had not a clue about what he was doing and seemed intent on ignoring the Captain. Range Safety is a key element of any shoot and I would like to think that he had been trained for the role at some point. As first job Sub Lt I was Corro and Guns on a Hunt and I would never have dared to mess up a shoot in such a wonderous fashion.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Still better than 'Navy School'. I thought Protector's gunnery man had no clue about what he was doing so wonder how he was trained. Seamanship regarding the seaboat seemed a bit amateurish too. Still interesting to see today's RN going about its business, in spite of the rather desperate hysterical tone of the commentary.

Meanwhile a strange bit of deja vu - long long ago Seaweed's Subs group was shanghaied into giving up its dog watches to run for Dryad in the Brickwoods, which in those far-off days was Pongo-free and competed between the many separate establishments around Portsmouth. We didn't do very well. What a rich and varied career.

Got half way through the HMS Protector coverage & stopped viewing. Could not belive how gormless and uninformed the Lt "Gunnery Officer" was. He had not a clue about what he was doing and seemed intent on ignoring the Captain. Range Safety is a key element of any shoot and I would like to think that he had been trained for the role at some point. As first job Sub Lt I was Corro and Guns on a Hunt and I would never have dared to mess up a shoot in such a wonderous fashion.
You should have kept watching. He came good(ish) in the end.*
I felt sorry for the guy because he clearly hadn't had enough practice at the drill to start with.

*Well of course he did. Wouldn't be good telly otherwise, would it? :D

It's what happens when you put jumped up civvies (Droggies) into uniform and give them real Navy titles. Was a complete fiasco when they painted the survey squadron grey. I appreciate on Protector the skipper is GS, but a very high percentage of the wardroom will be Droggies.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Last episode, last night. Anyone ever seen a fatter Leading Reg?

Also some incredible sum of the number of Africans DC had Bulwark freight to Europe for free so as to ensure no shortage of them in Calais.

I'm glad it wasn't just me - what a fat knacker. In fact, with the training staff porkies and now this, the RN fitness test would appear to be not working. What's with this 'I'm you superior officer' gag? No you're not - you killick me Chief!

Maybe some folk just fall between the cracks, though the cracks woukld have to be pretty large in these cases.

Otherwise, what a great programme this has been.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Certainly took one to the parts other docos don't reach. The civvy I/c keeping Drake going seemed remarkably relaxed that all three boilers had jacked in on his watch on the same day. And odd that nobody (OOW anyone?) had noticed until the last minute that Bulwark's picking up rope was foul. I would have thought that one might expect that at slack water the PUR would form a slack bight while the ship drifted round the buoy. Anyway B didn't copy the old Ark Royal and run aground so that's a plus.

Yep. Don't have the number to hand, but it came out in the last week or two. It also says not being EFP is no longer a bar to selection (and then goes on for 2 pages to explain different scenarios in which you can or can't actually be promoted).

Turns out you can now be offered promotion if you banged your notice in too now.

One question, they kept saying how the crew of Bulwark would be affected by Drakes loss of steam as they were living there, why would Bulwarks crew be in barracks anyway?

Maybe having major maintenence on domestic facilities?
The STP from episode one might be a possibility.*

*Edited to add: Oops, that was Ocean, not Bulwark :oops:

Last edited:
Certainly took one to the parts other docos don't reach. The civvy I/c keeping Drake going seemed remarkably relaxed that all three boilers had jacked in on his watch on the same day. And odd that nobody (OOW anyone?) had noticed until the last minute that Bulwark's picking up rope was foul. I would have thought that one might expect that at slack water the PUR would form a slack bight while the ship drifted round the buoy. Anyway B didn't copy the old Ark Royal and run aground so that's a plus.

Sounds like poor water treatment from the images of the pitting on the waterside pipes and the amount of scale build up , water for that size of boiler should be put through a softener and treated with anti corrosion chemicals after testing each week. University of York campus when I started work there in '78 was twice the size of Drake , we had three 20 ton and one 15 ton blrs , water loss was calculated daily and an amount of treatment was bled into system via micro pump over night shift plus transfer of water from in use blr into heating mains over a 4 hour period to negate any scale build up. As well as our testing company that supplied our treatment tested every 3 months to back up our efforts. Water and fire side inspected by insurance company after cleaning every year , only 15 tonner needed 6 tubes replacing for slight pitting while I was there. Staff on joining ? , Supervisor was ex Chief Tiff , Chargehand was ex PO stoker , 3 blr shift men ex stokers and one ex Merch. When Uni was built in mid 60's they went over the top as far as the amount of blr they needed , campus is now twice the size and blrs still giving good service.