Query.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Stirling, Jun 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My copy of Janes is 1970-71, it was bought by my then second wife as a crimbo present from a second hand book shop. It was 'fusty' when purchased, now it really chucks up, any thought on how to restore/remedy, I just want it smelling sweeter than it does at present.

2. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

3. Thanks A.G., only 694 pages and will have to wait till winter for the initial steps but may just try some cheap talc and see how that fairs as a first step. . :study:

4. Febreeze might do the trick.

5. S_S,

I had a similar book which went into the garage for eventual disposal but it just stayed there and, after a few months the dry & warmth had dried it out naturally - now totally odour-free.

I appreciate you don't have a garage but, besides the above tips, there seems to plenty of other remedies here.how to remove a fusty smell from an old book - Google Search

When you've solved it please let us know how you got on.

6. Appreciated 2DD, Bob, wallet is a trifle thin at the mo after the Sony purchase, you know me, bugger all patience so will try talc and mebbee fabreeze,( talc by any other name) prob later today. Payday Thursday so will look again @ other recommendations.

7. Apologies 2DD, for fabreeze I read shake n vac, senior moment, I will bring you a pressy of POLO mints fresh from the Rowntrees factory when I rack up at your house warming do once you move to Cumbria, kill 2 birds with one stone, brother John has a static in the lakes and you can compare notes ( he is ex Coldstream ) on Peleponies. Talc so far is working a treat, starting from middle of book a slight dusting on each page, Janes are glossy paper so my fears of damp rot is zilch.

And before anyone comments, yes engulf and devour Swiss bastards Nestle did buy Rowntress to one up Suchards but the locals STILL call it Rowntrees, Joseph will be turning in his grave.