Query on Return of Service for LETME

Currently on course at HMS SULTAN and have been since June 16. On 'day 1' we were told we need to sign up for the 2 years return of service which is now attached to the LETQC which is fair enough. When we signed the course was split into a 12 month common course and a 6 month ADQUAL. We signed the chit which stated our 2 years ROS would start on completion of the common course so my return of service started 2 months ago. Shortly after this we were all rounded up and told that this had now changed but the LT Commander in charge at that time promised us we would not be affected by this as we had already signed the chit to say otherwise. He's now left and 3 months into the ADQUAL they have rounded us up again and told us they made a mistake and now we need to sign another chit agreeing to the 2 years ROS after our ADQUAL has finished or we face being de-rated and removed from course even though we have completed 15 months of it. Can they remove us from course if we don't sign the chit having already signed a chit at beginning of course? Any advice that doesn't involve 'life in a blue one' would be great. I'm not currently looking to leave I'm just fed up of the Navy constantly moving the goal posts. Thanks

Unfortunately yes they can remove you from course. They're spending pusser's cash on you and want a guarantee that you'll not be going outside 366 days after course finishes.

It's shit, as a Cdr I'm on a RoS so I know your pain, but unfortunately that's the way the Navy plays the game.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I suspect either the course content changed or the qualifications earned changed during your course but in most cases RoS is applied upon completion of the course rather than prior to or during.

The old ME tiffs had the toughest RoS which applied after 4.5 years training and was 36 months, if I remember correctly.

I suspect either the course content changed or the qualifications earned changed during your course but in most cases RoS is applied upon completion of the course rather than prior to or during.

The old ME tiffs had the toughest RoS which applied after 4.5 years training and was 36 months, if I remember correctly.
It was 36 months after I did Mechs course IIRC.

Sumo

War Hero
Yep, that sounds about right, but it was from THE END of the course and prior to any AdQuals etc.
don't remember signing anything, it was just accepted that was they way, Choice was return of service then sod off or hang on for pension, Mechs tended to be a tadge older than Tiffs

Currently on course at HMS SULTAN and have been since June 16. On 'day 1' we were told we need to sign up for the 2 years return of service which is now attached to the LETQC which is fair enough. When we signed the course was split into a 12 month common course and a 6 month ADQUAL. We signed the chit which stated our 2 years ROS would start on completion of the common course so my return of service started 2 months ago. Shortly after this we were all rounded up and told that this had now changed but the LT Commander in charge at that time promised us we would not be affected by this as we had already signed the chit to say otherwise. He's now left and 3 months into the ADQUAL they have rounded us up again and told us they made a mistake and now we need to sign another chit agreeing to the 2 years ROS after our ADQUAL has finished or we face being de-rated and removed from course even though we have completed 15 months of it. Can they remove us from course if we don't sign the chit having already signed a chit at beginning of course? Any advice that doesn't involve 'life in a blue one' would be great. I'm not currently looking to leave I'm just fed up of the Navy constantly moving the goal posts. Thanks
Seems like a badly-managed "Admin Error" and whilst you have every right to feel "fed up" with having your ROS expectations distorted it looks like you will have to live with their admitted mistake.

Perhaps your only option is to make a complaint?
(the result of which should be at least bit of wrist-smacking for those responsible)

Your are being paid while training, So your training is free, wake up and smell the coffee, there is no such thing as a free lunch, suck it up do your return of service and you will be snapped up in divvy street.