Query for Royal marines

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Chockster, Jan 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I was wondering what the Royal Marines nicknames were for army personnel or RAF personnel?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

This should be good.
  3. You didn't think to ask the Bootnecks who advised you for your book?
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What jobs do they do? We need to be a bit more specific here, are you talking about Donkey wallopers, woodentops, tick tocks, falling plates, armoured farmers, sneaky beakies, perce, pongos, movers and shakers, crabs, rocks, biggles, wrench monkeys ,spanner *******, frisp fighters, drop shorts, snow drops or just your normal weekly ration of Army ****?
  5. The OP's book has a "Zombie outbreak" in Edinburgh, so they mobilise the Sweaty TA to deal......"send a sniper to kill a sniper" as they say....:biggrin:

How did they know during the call up at Chilwell, if they had been infected before sending them back up North?
  6. wet_blobby

Just read that over on Arrse, I've advised him to keep the plot real and make any RAF characters in the novel gay.
  7. lol, yes the RAF are involved. Tornado G4 sqn's based at RAF Marham and RAF Lossiemouth.

The Navy's involvement is limited, one Frigate to enfore a maritime exclusion zone and 45 commando to assualt a cruise ship, but the Marines know about the situation in Edinburgh and are aware that the army is preparing to engage the zombies later on.
  8. wet_blobby

45 wouldn't assault a cruise ship, that job is down to the STC branch of the RN. It used to be the SBS but what with all the deployments to Afghanistan the STC have taken over the lead role.

45 and 43 Commandos being based up in Scotland would probably get the Edinburgh Gig if they were in the country.

Defo have a gay RAF pilot though.
  9. yeah, thats what another royal marine forum site stated.

However the lower decks on the ship have lost contact with the bridge, and it just so happens that the Commando Helicopter Force is conducting exercises with 45 commando, so with not really knowing about what numbers they may be facing, they're ordered in asap and are the first unit to face the zombies, clearing each deck, cabin by cabin.

As it's pure fiction, I thought I could bend the rules to bring units or situations in that wouldn't normally get involved.
  10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Gotta involve the STC somewhere!!
  11. wet_blobby

STC quite often cross train with the CDO units so you could have a small team of them advising the Marines before 45 assault the lower decks.
  12. Keep the STC out of it! Recognition of their (very low profile) role or perceived abilities in a zombie novel would not be a good idea to place in the public domain.
  13. If a STC or two infiltrated the Zombies they'd never twig on; good sub-plot potential there.

PS For 'they' = Zombies or readers.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Well I don't want to highlight any particular units that aren't well known or any sensitive info about them. I haven't really heard of them, but I could write generally that 45 were briefed before they made their assualt. Numbers wise, I think it's around 200 zombies on the lower decks.

I think it's more the impact of the CHF arriving at Rosyth Docks and once on board building an atmosphere of empty bloody decks, no passengers or zombies in sight and the marines working their way through the ship that I wanted to get through to the reader.

15. Include an SSN, a Spearfish up the transom is a good way of clearing a cruise ship of zombies.
  16. Make sure it doesn't conflict with weekenders, otherwise forget including CHF.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

18. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Gods. Just that.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. FU****g Hell blobby, you are always having a go about OPSEC
  20. Fixed that for you....