Queen Presenting Colours to FAA June 1991

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by off_les_aura, May 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. YouTube - RNAS Yeovilton mass flypast - June 1991

I had just finished Pt 4 training at this time. All the stuff mentioned/shown in this video we have since lost:-

RNAS Portland - home of the Lynx
    Canberra
    Hunter
    Sea Harrier
    Sea King 6
    Jetstream
    Gazelle (Sharks Display team)
    Royal Flight BAe 146

Granted some of this kit has been replaced and was obsolete, but it really only seems like yesterday. What? This was 20 years ago??? God I feel old! :(

2. The queen has changed quite a bit as well ..right?

[​IMG]

3. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

I remember that. Had to stay at Portland and bus up to VL for the event. I had not long finished my pt 4 training at Culdrose. Stitched up by the AMG reggy.
    The wind on the parade was stronger than expected and lots of hats seemed to be rolloing around the parade ground when it all finished.

The only time I have ever met the Boss at work.

4. I was off-watch for this so I was racked out (typical wafu) but I did meet her in 2002 when she came to Sultan for our passing out parade

5. ========================================

========================================

Queen Presenting Colours to FAA June 1991

Without any carriers will she want 'em back now? For curtain material or similar?

6. In a drunken bubble during my 360 days. No mention of it up there, spookily!!!!

7. Sorry to black cat you, but was at this one!!!!! The 50 YR FLYPAST Fairey Swordfish (pilot, Rear Admiral P. D. Gick; observer, Rear Admiral H. R.
    Janvrin; telegraphist/air gunner, Lt Cdr C. Topliss).
    Wasps of 829 Sqn (Lt Cdr K. Mitchell) and 771 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. R. J. Rutherford).
    12 Wessexes of 819 Sqn (Lt Cdr P. J. Lynn), 706 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. E. Kelly), 737 Sqn
    (Lt Cdr R. Leonard) and 829 Sqn.
    Gannets of 849 Sqn (Lt Cdr W. H. Barnard) and 831 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. G. Grindle).
    12 Hunters of 738 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. W. Beard) and 759 Sqn (LtCdrA. H. Milnes).
    12 Scimitars of 803 Sqn (Lt Cdr P. G. Newman) and 736 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. Worth).
    12 Sea Vixens of 899 Sqn (Cdr D. C. Matthews), 890 Sqn (Lt Cdr R. G. M.Campbell)
    and 766 Sqn (Lt Cdr G. P. Carne).
    12 Buccaneers of 800 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. C. Mather) and 809 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. F. H. C. De Winton :wink: :wink: went to that one 809sqdn :icon_smile: :icon_smile: All aircrew and groundcrew formed up at VL

8. Thanks for that offering, OLA. Some truly excellent pilots in one of the formations (in superbly maintained machines, of course) :). Funny, but I don't remember HRH coming to the Wardroom piss-up afterwards. She probably had to get back home and feed the dogs.

9. Dont suppose you have any photos of this event do you scouse?

10. Hope it works still!!! British Pathe

11. Thanks Scouse :) Can't believe they were doing the "Junglie Assault" even back then!