Queen Mary and HMS Curacao collision

Discussion in 'History' started by seafarer1939, Jan 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's on at the moment and I'm taping it but in the meantime I'll Google it as it seems to have been one almighty cock up by someone.
    I expect the full story will be there but a lot of Sailors died and as one survivor said "You don't expect to be killed by your own people"
    I know there is an effect when two ships get close and they come together thru a type of suction but these were at 28 Knots.
    I've got a treasured medallion on my key ring made from the propeller of the Queen Mary,it's always been my lucky charm so I'll follow this story if it's there.
  2. Aye, one zigged while t`other one zagged.
    As ever in war though, its all a question of luck. A similar thing happened to a Yank destroyer. T`was in convoy and one of the lead merchants turned back. Radar being the new fangled thing, the operator couldn`t tell if it was a big ship far away, or a small one nearby, It cut through them like a knife through butter, but adjacent to some watertight doors. The front end sank like a stone, the back end floated , and was so well preserved, they towed it back to port, and grafted a new front end on. I do believe the back half went on to be the oldest serving bit of the USN.
  3. Aye, similar to when the battleship KGvth rammed the destroyer Punjabi... you can see wheer the destroyers deck has sliced right into the battleships bows. It does behove the littler ships to be a touch more aware around their larger charges:

4. Watching the programme I'm glad it was finally cleared up,the cruiser Captain was held for most of the blame because the QM Captain said he turned into her,the divers found the rudder in the Fore Aft position confirming the Air Op Officer in the Crows lookout that the ships wake was straight proving she never turned.
    The QM Captain was mistaken,it was his fault for not noticing how close the Cruiser was[she had to be with in 900 yards for air defence] when he zigzagged.
    It's a bit late for the Cruiser Captain yet he still should have been aware a zigzag course was due but I wonder why the short blast on the siren that signals all turns was not used.
    A survivor stated the obvious that had Seamanship been performed correctly it would not have happened.
  5. The "Melbourne" and the "Voyager" springs to mind.
  6. I was a fisherman in the early 80s,the wreck is SW of Stanton Bank.You could clearly see the two halfs of the ship on the fish finder. Always gave me pause for thought, when i looked at it.