Quarter Badges

Discussion in 'History' started by HarryT, May 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. More years ago than I care to remember. I overheard two newly Commissisioned Warrant Officers describing a certain young lady on the dock-side as having " hips like the quarter badges of the Rodney"

Never heard it since-- and not sure what quarter badges are or were.

2. Which Warrant Officer variant was that, HarryT?

I believe that the pre-Branch Officer (later the SD Officer) type of WO went out circa 1948 and that rank was therefore 'gapped' until the Fleet Chief type WO reappeared in the early '70s.

I served 33 yrs (outside nearly 20 :blush: ) but that simile is a new one on me, however Jack at every level was/is often original at inventing a brand new one to match any situation.

Only a quick google but I couldn't find any rear end images of any of the HMS RODNEYs to illustrate. Perhaps this snippet may shed a little (just a quarter?) light on the origin of your question:

<<..On tall sailing ships, quarter windows would exist to ventilate the quarters and provide light. These were sometimes decorated.

Sometimes these would have a “quarter badge” as a badge shaped carving around the two small quarter windows at the stern...>

Bob

3. Hadn't heard that particular reference before, but Bob's solution seems to be apposite, the "Sailor's Word Book" defines Quarter Badge as " Artificial galleries, a carved ornament near the stern of those vessels which have no quarter galleries", thus, in Rodney's case, wide apart - fairly descriptive of many a young lady these days one would think!
    Regarding Warrant Officers, I seem to remember they went out of fashion circa 1956. I was at Mercury at the time, as a L/CK(O), and our Wardroom Catering Officer went from Mr, to Sub Lt (SD)(CK) , but there may well have been changes in the "Executive" branches prior to that. I do know that in 1954, at Hornet, we had lots of "Warrant gunners, Warrant bosuns" etc., wearing a thin ring and addressed as Mr by superiors, and obviously as "Sir" by hoi polloi, of which I was one.

2BM

4. It was on a school trip in 1945 to HMS Defiance.
    My brother tells me the two men were Gunners (T)