Qualified interviews, BRNC and flights!

Discussion in 'RFA' started by 8_to_12, Feb 9, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, new member here with a few questions. I've got an interview coming up with the RFA soon (I'm a qualified 3rd officer) and I'm just wondering what sort of questions they ask generally so I can prepare?

I have read ManchesterWelsh's blog (http://manchesterwelsh.com/tags/royal-fleet-auxiliary/), does the 8 weeks at BRNC still follow this set-up? Finally, where do most of you fly out to when meeting ships?

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can be useful on here with my previous 3 years cadetship experience in the commercial sector.

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Somewhere near the ship is preferred. Flying to Dubai when your ship is in Barbados is awkward. Your kit may end up elsewhere but 'twas ever thus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sorry, I worded that vaguely. What I meant is at the moment what area of the world do most fly out to for meeting ships? I.e. the gulf states, Carribean etc. And if it is a gulf state, Carribean etc which airports do you tend to fly to/which ports do you join?

4. Seadog

Are you asking, "where are the ships?" Spit it out.

5. The most common airports to join/leave via in the Persian Gulf are Bahrain and Dubai, though often for the latter the ship is at Fujairah. More difficult to say for the Caribbean as the port visits are more varied, it's a while since I was last there, and the station is increasingly gapped. Curacao used to be a good bet. For South Atlantic you are probably looking at Mount Pleasant or Cape Town.

But you're most likely to join in BrokenBirkenhead.

6. Haha yeah it could be worded that way as well. Thanks Megalopteron! Could you help with the other two questions if possible? :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. It would seem that the BRNC course has been dropped for some qualified officers, your best bet is to contact recruiting and ask them. It's always a good thing to know your immediate career path when going to an interview.

8. I see, would you know the reason why? I know a few guys who've gone in qualified and all had to do the BRNC course. I'll definitely bring it up at interview.

9. Seadog

Perhaps the requirement for qualified officers is next week, not in 8 + weeks. Perhaps the candidate knows he or she has alternatives to the RFA that don't involve so many hoops. The RFA managed fine without BRNC for 100 years. I'm not saying that BRNC is a bad thing, it's just not essential, especially with the current manning difficulties.

10. Hi, it is all to do with the spaces available on the course, we are at the moment recruiting more people than we have spaces for and therefore not everyone is going to BRNC at this time, however they may have to do it another time as the aspiration is everyone will do BRNC.
    The BRNC course has changed from the blog you have read no longer do you go to Dartmoor and camp on the moors. The course now involves a river based leadership exercise as the assessment stage not Dartmoor. This has reduced the fitness elements slightly so there is no running around with a Bergen on your back, but instead is just general weekly improvement PT sessions.
    Week 1 involves and introduction and then some basic practical leadership tasks.
    Week 2 is boat driving single and twin screw
    Week 4 a practice maritime leadership training exercise
    Week 3 , 5 and 6 have various lectures on many different subjects including a lecture series on the RFA and specific elements of it.
    Week 7 is the Maritime Leadership exercise assessment
    Week 8 is preparing for a presentation to the Commodore and the passing out parade.
    It is quite intense at times but also very rewarding if you get on with it.
    Course has been re-written in twice in last 3 years and is now a more RFA / maritime based course which should give you some basic skills that may help during your time in the RFA. It does not make you a Naval officer, but does give an insight into their training and who we are working with. It is a general knowledge of the RFA and Royal Naval Service and leadership development course rather than replicating what life is like in the RFA.
    Once people get that bit they generally understand and enjoy the course and do well.

In terms of what do they ask at interview: just previous experiences and what you may know of the RFA and why you want the job.
    Hope that helps a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The course constantly evolves at BRNC and this can only be a good thing!

12. Seadog

Thanks for the view from the coal face RFA at BRNC. It's always better than conjecture.

Does the aspiration to have everyone (cadet and officer entrants) do BRNC trump the seemingly urgent requirement ( adverts in maritime press and shipping recruitment websites) for senior Certificates of Competency that enables direct entry at 1/O for MEs with Class 1s?

13. Seadog, the have not recruited many with senior CoC and they have gone straight out.
    The direct entry 3/O(E), SE or (X) go to BRNC as many of them have not done a complement job commercially when they join the RFA often finishing a cadetship, qualifying then join the RFA. The aim is then to give these guys basic introduction to the RFA while at BRNC, so hopefully when they do a WECDIS course or SE course at a naval establishment they know how to dress and what to do etc.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi RFA at BRNC, thanks for taking the time to write out the detailed response above. It definitely clears up my original questions. What exactly is involved in the physical fitness side for the RFA at BRNC?

I've been looking to follow the Royal Navy's pre-joining fitness programme booklet, but I'm aware the PT for RN officers/royal marines is a lot more intense than what the RFA undertake (so I hear).

15. That appears to depend entirely on the mood of the marines when you're there. Having spoken to many people who've recently (last two years) come through the RFA course at BRNC, the experiences have varied wildly.

You will take the RNFT and the swim test, pass these as failing will see you resitting every weekend until you pass. You should note that there is no fitness requirement in the RFA and failing a fitness test doesn't mean you'll fail the course or be kicked out.

16. That appears to depend entirely on the mood of the marines when you're there. Having spoken to many people who've recently (last two years) come through the RFA course at BRNC, the experiences have varied wildly.

You will take the RNFT and the swim test, pass these as failing will see you resitting every weekend until you pass. You should note that there is no fitness requirement in the RFA and failing a fitness test doesn't mean you'll fail the course or be kicked out.

17. The fitness test involves just the 2.4km run. There is also the swim test.
    On top of this there is just general PT sessions developing core strength usually one or two periods a week and a sports afternoon and sports club evening to try other sports.
    The marines are no longer anything to do with the RFA PT that used to be on Dartmoor, but as the RFA students no longer go there it is a lot different from when Bluebird went through.

To pass the course there are a number of points you need to achieve. passing the fitness test and swim test help you towards passing but it is not the be all and end all.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Newbie here just going through the phases of researching the living daylights out of rfa recruitment processes! Waiting for aib date so coming along nicely! Questions about brnc if I may. Are all of the rfa guys and girls all in one section or mixed in with the RN? At what point do you start your employment with the rfa? Is it when you arrive at brnc or after? What happens in the time between brnc finish and starting college? That's around 2 months I beleive? Do you have a medical at brnc? Someone on here said you can be breathalysed for alcohol??? Do you get drug tested? If the marines no longer do the pt who takes it? And finally......how many rfa attend the course and when are they? I know that's loads of questions but I've trawled this site and can't find the answers. I'm sure I'll get ripped for asking so many questions so ......sorry in all honesty someone be my hero and fill me in. Thanks.

19. I would also thank RFA at BRNC for clearing some things up as i had similiar questions. I've passed my interview and I think im going to BRNC in January next year. Going on pay in a couple of weeks though :)