Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA

Hi

I'm currently a qualified Deck Officer with Chief Mate Unlimited, currently working on cruise ships. I'm currently toying with the idea of applying for the RFA. This would be a bit of a gamble because I'd be taking a 40% paycut and I would be away from home for longer than I am at the moment so I'm not sure if the move would be a bit suicidal. What I really want with a job at sea is a sense of belonging and also feeling part of a team, which is not something I am getting from my current job. I also like the sound of the lifestyle and the extra trainings, it sounds more varied from what you get on Cruise Ships.

I also have some questions if anyone could please answer them:

1) Do Deck Officers do watch when alongside?
2) How much overtime are you expected to work outside of your watch duty?
3) How many crew are invloved in a bidge watch? Is it single watchkeeping or Nav, Co Nav set up? Also do you follow some kind of Bridge Resource Management practices when on watch?
4) What's the lifestyle like onboard? Social activites, gym etc
5) Are there any talks of reducing the time spent away from home i.e: doing a 3 month on/off rotaiton

Thanks

Random

Lantern Swinger
Hi

I'm currently a qualified Deck Officer with Chief Mate Unlimited, currently working on cruise ships. I'm currently toying with the idea of applying for the RFA. This would be a bit of a gamble because I'd be taking a 40% paycut and I would be away from home for longer than I am at the moment so I'm not sure if the move would be a bit suicidal. What I really want with a job at sea is a sense of belonging and also feeling part of a team, which is not something I am getting from my current job. I also like the sound of the lifestyle and the extra trainings, it sounds more varied from what you get on Cruise Ships.

I also have some questions if anyone could please answer them:

1) Do Deck Officers do watch when alongside?
2) How much overtime are you expected to work outside of your watch duty?
3) How many crew are invloved in a bidge watch? Is it single watchkeeping or Nav, Co Nav set up? Also do you follow some kind of Bridge Resource Management practices when on watch?
4) What's the lifestyle like onboard? Social activites, gym etc
5) Are there any talks of reducing the time spent away from home i.e: doing a 3 month on/off rotaiton

Thanks
1) No alongside you shift to day work, taking it in turns/ in rota as the duty officer.

2) Really depends what's going on, all the watch keepers have other duties which take up those precious off watch hours. Sometimes they take up very little time(because you got them sorted in port) sometimes it's almost watch on stop on (when doing some of the FOST training).

4) Standard is 1x OOW with 2x ABs as your watch keepers. Entering / Leaving Harbour will be every man and his dog (including the Chief Engineer).

5) Social life on the ships at sea mainly revolves around the day workers off duty schedules and mainly is whatever fun the ships organisation comes up with (ie very variable), most fun happens in port for the Watch keepers. But our ships have bars, a gym, satellite TV systems (in cabins and public spaces).

6) We had been trialing reducing our rotation from 4months on 3off to 3on 2.25 off (ie leave is in same ratio).

Covid challenges stopped the trial early, HQ is currently analysing the data about whether it worked for them and the people on the trial.

When off ship leave is not used/burnt for ashore training or meetings etc. So effectively most people do better than the official ratios.

1) No alongside you shift to day work, taking it in turns/ in rota as the duty officer.

2) Really depends what's going on, all the watch keepers have other duties which take up those precious off watch hours. Sometimes they take up very little time(because you got them sorted in port) sometimes it's almost watch on stop on (when doing some of the FOST training).

4) Standard is 1x OOW with 2x ABs as your watch keepers. Entering / Leaving Harbour will be every man and his dog (including the Chief Engineer).

5) Social life on the ships at sea mainly revolves around the day workers off duty schedules and mainly is whatever fun the ships organisation comes up with (ie very variable), most fun happens in port for the Watch keepers. But our ships have bars, a gym, satellite TV systems (in cabins and public spaces).

6) We had been trialing reducing our rotation from 4months on 3off to 3on 2.25 off (ie leave is in same ratio).

Covid challenges stopped the trial early, HQ is currently analysing the data about whether it worked for them and the people on the trial.

When off ship leave is not used/burnt for ashore training or meetings etc. So effectively most people do better than the official ratios.

Thanks for the quick reply.

3on/2.25 off sounds slightly more manegable, it's ashame they don't just allow time for time rotation.

Do you also get internet access when at sea? or do most people rely on their sim cards when coastal/alongside?

In your experience is it normal for qulified officer to transfer from different sectors of the Merchant Navy, to the RFA?

Random

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for the quick reply.

3on/2.25 off sounds slightly more manegable, it's ashame they don't just allow time for time rotation.

Do you also get internet access when at sea? or do most people rely on their sim cards when coastal/alongside?

In your experience is it normal for qulified officer to transfer from different sectors of the Merchant Navy, to the RFA?

Time for time would cost more money, its unlikely the Treasury would approve that sort of pay-rise anytime in the near future. However we rarely spend more than a couple of weeks at sea before a port call (and so time off), so the time aboard is less of a hardship for us than it is for the families at home.

Yes but not all ships have had public wifi rolled out yet (and it tends to be in the bars not cabins); however the bandwidth is shared with the work computers and is low. ie fine for emailing / messaging, slow for browsing, impossible to stream video. When in mobile range you will get higher speeds easily over your sim.

Plenty of former cruise and ferry deck officers within the RFA (and vice versa).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O RFA System Engineer (qualified) interview RFA 7
MoD_RSS Vetpol recognised by VMD as a suitable body to maintain a register for suitably qualified persons (SQPs) MoD News 0
M Joining as a Qualified Nurse. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
gerrysurfs Motorman recruitment (qualified LETWESM) RFA 0
S QARNNS - Newly qualified nurse Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Operating Department Practitioner (Qualified) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
D Army to Navy qualified nurse transfer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C Qualified Navy Nurse after Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
8 Qualified interviews, BRNC and flights! RFA 18
L advice for an AIB deferred qualified nurse please! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Sgt Jobsearch Qualified Gas Engineer - Cambridge - £29,268 plus Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
C Qualified Nurses Burns ITU, Essex, £25-35k The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
W Degree Qualified Engineers – Positions in Petroleum Industry The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
C qualified paramedic thinking of joining the navy! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil The First Two Royal Navy Pilots Qualified Exactly 100 Years Ago The Fleet Air Arm 8
O Qualified Electrician - £10p/h - Cumbria The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Newly qualified submariner swallows his Dolphins Submariners 28
N Professionally Qualified Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
sgtpepperband Qualified as a Professional Diamond Lil's 5
slim Today's school leavers are more qualified than Yesterdays Diamond Lil's 20
Navy1 New SofS - Ideally qualified ? Current Affairs 43
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
higthepig Flight Deck Movie.............. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 176
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
K Deck markings History 13
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
A Warfare officer Vs Cadet deck officer RFA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Eyesight requirement - deck officer RFA 2
S Promotion times (deck officer) RFA 13
S RFA Deck Officer Cadet - Maths grade? RFA 8
S RFA deck officers RFA 3
L Deck Officer Cadet RFA 8
W Electrician Officer or Deck Officer RFA 11
TechFin Anyone know what the Deck Officer Cadetships are like? RFA 3
C Joining as Deck Officer Cadet RFA 1
A Deck officer holiday RFA 3
J Deck Officer Cadet entry requirements RFA 5
Z RFA Cadet Deck Officer or Comms Apprentice RFA 37
F Aircraft carrier with peeled back flight deck. History 13