Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qualifications

mark33

Badgeman
Hi I'm currently waiting for a start date to begin my basic training and then go on to be et(mesm). After doing this and on being considered suitibly competant what would be the level and type of qualification i hope to receive? I have from my time gained mechanical engineering qualifications upto city and guilds level 4 in mechanical engineering and maintenance. So would i be studying the same sort of material or would it be a totally different learning altogether? Thanks in advance for any advice

slim

War Hero
Engineering is engineering so it's highly likely that you will be covering some subjects that you already know, especially the mathematics.
Having said that there are bound to be parts of the course that are relevant to the RN.
Your previous learning should help you to understand more easily than a person that is new to engineering.
This being the case, please bear with them, they will not be stupid, if possible give them a helping hand after lessons, this not only helps them but will reinforce your own knowlege. :)

lonestar

War Hero
Slim I read it more as him asking what sort of recognised civilian qualification his training would get him if any... I might be wrong though.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I believe you end up with a foundation degree in engineering once you get your buttons (Chiefs for the newbies)

jockgolly

Lantern Swinger
WreckerL said:
I believe you end up with a foundation degree in engineering once you get your buttons (Chiefs for the newbies)

Is that it? I would've thought that at CPO level, they'd at least give you a bachelor's degree!

I mean, I'm getting a foundation degree just for finishing my AB-LH course, seems a bit unfair that the stokers/greenies get seen off like that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Education Qualifications and Awards (EQ Awards) surrender Ofqual recognition MoD News 0
S Qualifications, Upper Yardsman Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS Next stage of post-16 qualifications overhaul gets under way MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New SIA licence-linked qualifications MoD News 0
mick1199 Entry requirements and accepted qualifications Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Statement on grading vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Grading of vocational and technical qualifications MoD News 0
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS Ofqual support for reform of Higher Technical Qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Perceptions of qualifications in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual decisions on awarding vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Exceptional arrangements for awarding qualifications this summer MoD News 0
S Leadership Qualifications The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 20
MoD_RSS Industry Qualifications surrender Ofqual recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual consultation on awarding vocational and technical qualifications in summer 2020 MoD News 0
U STUDYING FOR QUALIFICATIONS Joining the Royal Navy 33
MoD_RSS Awarding vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement on vocational and technical qualifications in 2020 MoD News 0
J ETME qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Drivers of choice for vocational and technical qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to BBC story about minicab driver qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation on rules for Department for Education performance table qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How can we ensure public confidence in qualifications? MoD News 0
M Retake Qualifications? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS British Army soldiers’ skills mapped to the Scottish qualifications framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of students to take youth work qualifications after new government investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maintaining standards in reformed Functional Skills qualifications MoD News 0
R Question about Qualifications from Ireland Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Qualifications regulators consult on changes to rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Perceptions of vocational and technical qualifications - wave 2 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further measures announced to boost the quality of post-16 qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New qualifications to help teachers progress their careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Proposals launched to boost the quality and uptake of Higher Technical Qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Call for views on new digital Functional Skills qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Qualifications perception survey - latest results released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Plans launched to boost quality of post -16 qualifications MoD News 0
R What Qualifications do you gain as an Marine Engineering Technician in the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Strengthening vocational and technical qualifications MoD News 0
F WE qualifications UPO/Careers Office 39
R Marine Engineering (Technician) qualifications and career path Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
H Commonwealth qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS News story: Consultation into regulating Basic Digital Skills Qualifications MoD News 0
C UGAS qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Qualifications for Officers Joining the Royal Navy 1
M Qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R qualifications.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
T Officer Direct Entry - Qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
3 Skills/qualifications as an ET(MESM) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2