Qualifications

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kevo, Sep 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have 11 A-C GCSE's and 3 C-E A-levels (I have the neccessary ucas points to become an officer)

I feel like I lack the leadership qualities and life experience to apply as an officer though! Even though my current job is a trainee project manager... I'm just wondering if i joined as a rating, how long it would be before i could apply for a commisioned officer - and if this is a wise route?

I'm interested in the warefare branch (Submariner)

Kev

2. I guess English Language is not one of your passes? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Go direct to BRNC if it is an option open to you

3. Slightly out of my field, but Warfare Officer and Warfare Rating are completely different jobs.

I think you need to do some more research.

4. One of my best, actually lol. Warfare :)

5. Kevo

Have you already been into your nearest AFCO for a chat?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Providing you include Maths & English GCSE's within the eleven & your 180 UCAS points only include A2's graded at D & above then there's no reason why you shouldn't apply for Officer in the first instance, with the fall-back option of joining as a Rating if you are found wanting.

We're not looking for the completed article for officers, but those that show the potential to be trained as effective leaders.

The selection process is pretty much the same for both up until selection/sift interview, so the application can be progressed whichever eventual route you take.

7. I would apply for Officer first then go in as a rating if doesn't work out -- you can always re-apply for a commision as an in-service candidate later on in your career.

Whether you make it as an Officer first time round or not you will learn a lot about your self in process. If you're unsucessful you know what you need to work on, if you never try you'll never know.

Good luck! :D

8. Thanks for the words guys!

Yer my local afco just gave me brochures and an officer application form just incase - like you said might aswell try.

My opticians didn't have the stereoscopic vision test though, only something similar which i failed :s