qualifications....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ronald Avy, Aug 15, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am looking to a career change, and looking the royal navy...

I have 3 GCSEs (Maths, English and Biology) a Degree BA (Hons) and a Postgraduate certificate in Education.

Would the fact that I don't have A-levels (was home educated - til 18) and only 3 GCSEs but a Degree and a masters level course stop me from applying for an officer role? I am aware that I can only apply for 1 role at a time and I don't want to waste time on a route that I would just get half way and say no due to qualifications. Would rather consider a rating role instead.

2. Yes, you need the GCSEs and A levels/UCAS points.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thanks for the quick response. I did think that.. hence the question, couldn't find the answers on any other forum.....

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated, there are unlikely to be educational waivers unless it's a shortage category branch you wish to join. Sometimes a second degree can be accepted in lieu of a shortfall at A Level but a GCSE shortfall is not likely to be waivered.

5. Thanks, At the time i did the GCSEs (as an Adult) - that is all I could do/was offered at any college around my county. plus it was nearly £1000 each, so it was a struggle.

It has helped, means that I will look into training through rating but that will mean a hefty pay cut so would need to budget/save to cover the shortfall for the first year or so.

6. I'm currently in the application process looking for a career change. I missed out on NUGAS because of a GCSEs shortfall despite my extra quals such as key skills, city and guilds and nvq's along with 10 years engineering experience. Have continued the process by applying to (et)mesm the whole process is moving very very quickly.

I'm just saving some spare cash to cope with the massive pay cut from my current job.

7. Thanks, I am glad someone else is (excuse the pun) in the same or similar boat.

Will be doing a lot of saving this year.

8. from the way things have been progressing and the way my AFCO is talking I won't have long to save.

I applied 4 weeks ago, passed RT, passed interview and have medical this week.

By all accounts submarine service is/was hanging out for blokes.

9. ok thanks, for that - i might hold off applying, as can't really start til next year as I can't really leave my contract til September 2017.

10. Well different branches and roles have different waiting times, best to pop in to your local office and discuss your options and get the ball rolling.