Qualifications through RNR - possibly one for Ninja_Stoker?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Astraeus, Jan 22, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks N_S. I had presumed the link referred to the branch-specific qualifications as opposed to courses available through the SLC scheme. Do you know if there is any page which itemises branch-specific qualifications?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

I'll make enquiries tomorrow. CIS used to be the same as the regular service CIS, but I'm guessing that's changed. The other branches that equate to regular service equivalent branches should be similar, but again I'll ask the experts.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The officer route (I don't know about the rating leadership courses) is also now leading to Chartered Management Institute accreditation that maps to rank progression. Becoming a SLt is now sufficient to get you in as a "Member" on the fast track membership system.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Just to say - haven't forgotten, just waiting for a response to my query.
  6. Thanks N_S.

CMDKeen, I have read conflicting information re: entry as an officer. The RN website suggests all RNR enter as ratings however a number of case studies refer to officer entry and the associated training pipeline. Can the RNR be entered as an officer?

Sent on the go from Tapatalk. Please excuse typos.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

You can enter the RNR as a direct entry RNR Officer.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Lets also smash the buzz that is going round at the moment that if you go for RNR Officer and fail the AIB you cannot then join as a rating. Not true!!!! There's nothing wrong with joining as a JR, as if you've got it we'll find it in you...
  9. This week....
  10. Please expand?
  11. The Direct Entry of Officers into the RNR has been raised, dropped, resurrected, interred, thought about, abolished, started and stopped more times than necessary. If such a scheme exists, I suggest you take advantage of it whilst it is advertising.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Hopefully it's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future. Hope to get to AIB in the next few months.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

The one thing that many don't realise is that if applying to join the regular RN as an Officer, if you pass AIB but don't get selected in your chosen branch, you can join the RNR as an Officer straight away, all selection elements remain valid.
  14. We had a couple of folk do exactly that, and make themselves rather useful (both to the unit, and their fellow OCs) while they waited for the regular RN to pick them up, or in one case redid their AIB for a better score. Didn't seem to do them any harm either...
  15. N_S

Sorry to hound you about this but did you manage to determine whether the IS (eek!) training options are as per the regular RN?
  16. Kind of along the same lines, if you get through as an Officer in the RNR can you then transfer your score for AIB etc to become Officer in RN? Or have to retake?
  17. The AIB is the AIB, Regular or Reserve. It doesn't matter who you apply "through" it is transferable as the process is the same. The only issue you may have is that the RN may have a "full" intake for your chosen branch?