Qualifications for RNR direct entry

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ginger_lad, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi first time poster, long time reader.
    I have an issue with the RNR and any advice would be most welcome. Having left the RN as a weapon engineer in 97 I went to uni and bagged myself a fairly useful degree. I have spent the last ten years building a career and during this time bagged an MSc also. Now that the kids are almost at school I felt that I am at a good place to join the RNR and utilise the skills learnt in civvy street. Here lies the problem, I do not have the required 5 GCSE's for direct entry and the AIB officer entry section do not recognise degrees and post-graduate degrees as sufficient. I am more than aware that education does not equal intelligence but the determination that I have shown in gaining my degrees should count for something. It would be a shame for the RN or RNR to miss out on potentially outstanding candidates because they didn't revise hard enough 18 years ago!
    Has anybody else been in a similar position?
    Cheers for any info
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi Ginger, welcome to RR.

I can empathise with your situation, there are many similarly placed to yourself.

I'd recommend you speak to your nearest Area Careers Liaison Officer with a view to investigating which qualifactions you have equate to which, if any, GCSE's.

Good luck
  3. Its an AIB issue - they are stringent on what they will or won't accept. I've trieid for waivers in the past with no success, so the best thing to do is bite the bullet and take the requisite GCSE's. Long experience has taught me that AIB will not listen to reason on this one.
  4. Hi Ginger;

New to the site and the "new" ways of the RNR as well, but in my day the qualifications were the basic 5 GCSEs (OK O levels) or equivalent qualifications.

You must have had equivalant qualifications to get onto your degree course?

If what is said here is tue, the world has gone mad!

5. Just a quick update for those of you wondering how this was going to end.
    I have now received an email from the AIB informing me that after a review of my qualifications I am now able to apply for a commision in the RNR. Common sense in the RN?? I don't believe it!
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A commission in the RNR? That's like an extra star in McDonalds... 8O :wink:

Good luck mate, whatever you choose to do. :thumright:
  7. Ginger Lad - pls check your PMs.

I had the same problems and would be interested to see how you overcame your problems Ginger.

I too have a degree and it's not correct to say that you must have the 5 GCSEs to get on a degree course.

For youngsters you need the quals to show an ability to study at higher level, but as an adult they will accept accreditation of prior learning (APL) to get on some courses.