Qualifications And Criminal past.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Juggy, Nov 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon Folks.

I have been lurking around this board for a while trying to get a feel of what Navy personnel are like. With some of the characters on here i dont know whether to be worried or encouraged!!

I am being made redundant in march at the age of 30 and am seriously considering applying to join the navy.

I considered it when i finished my A levels at the age of 18 but to be honest didn't have the balls to go for it, something which I have regretted ever since :sad8: I am also sad to say i was a bit of a jack the lad and bugger the consequences back then which ended up in me doing community service for being an all round turd.

Now that i will be out of work soon i see this as my last chance to fulfill that ambition with a bit more life experience behind me even though i am slightly concerned about being the old boy at the beginning. (Not that i don't fancy my chances against some of the playstation generation!! ha ha)

There are two things that concern me.

My questions to you fine people are:

1) will my criminal record hinder my application too much?

It was not an offence that automatically excludes me from service according to another post of rules and regs on here and it expired 7 years ago. I have been a model citizen for 12 years since my community service and have been in the same job for that long working as a stock controller/auditor for a major company.

Secondly I have 5 GCSE's and 3 A levels but i cannot for the life of me locate the original certificates which I think were mislaid in a house move years ago.

2)Will i need to get proof as they are 38 quid per certificate and due to examining boards amalgamating would be near impossible to trace!

Sorry for waffling on but I just wanted to get these clear before I went to the AFCO because being 30 I don't really have the time to chase pipe dreams.

Cheers for your help in advance

JUGGY

2. Hi Jugs

I can't personally help you other than wishing you luck if you decide to apply. I'm sure most on here have had scrapes with the law in the past so i wouldn't let that put you off applying.

XRD

3. We have?

4. Ok. I have then. :thumright:

5. Shipmate I had major problems getting tried all services and eventually got it. You can only but, try. On the education quals they will need to see your qualifications. Make sure you really decide what you want to do. As you will be stuck in a mess deck been told what to do by much younger and less mature people all the way up the food chain. With your quals it pains me to say you could try officer or RNR. Again these are only my recommendations. Last job I have a trainee join at 26 and he hated the crap admin jobs that come with been a JR. Really think about it as dont to waste your time or the MOD money. Good look and let me know your decision

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site:

If it was not an offence which is listed in the stickes section as an automatic bar to entry, you only need prove all fines are paid & disclose it on the Security Clearance form if the offence is spent & you were not sentenced to over 30 months in prison. If your offence is unspent, then it is a bar until spent or waived.

If the GCSE's & A Levels are not required to start the job, then you need to consider whether you need them for promotion to Warrant Officer of Commissioned Officer at a later point after you have joined the service.

If you cannot provide an academic certificate, then you will be processed in the same manner as someone who did not obtain the qualifications in the first instance. For example: You will undergo in-service basic skills tests & be ineligible for promotion to any rank/rate which requires recognised qualifications.

As long as you are happy with those circumstances & don't aspire to advance yourself to those levels of attainment or wish to re-take qualifications "in-service" then the choice is yours, but there's no point claiming qualifications without proof.

Good luck.