QE Class Carriers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Apr 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Side lifts !!!!! remember the one on the Happy H. Watch out for the goffers :laughing2:
  2. It is quite amasing what a scale of under taking it really is. It will be a happy day when she arrives in Pompey for the first time.

Does anyone know when the current first deliveries of F35C are scheduled for? I imagine it is a bit up in the air at the moment but any idea would be interesting.
  3. Erm, actually it is far from "up in the air" at the moment [​IMG]
  4. The Scottish shipyards have an outstanding history of naval shipbiulding, this should be nothing out of the ordinary for them.
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I stood by in John Brown's for several weeks watching hundreds of men trying not to finish building Tiger. The level of theft of fittings was dismaying and the final finish, as the wire wool worked its rusty way out of the paint, disgraceful. By the time I arrived she had already had to be rescued by a tug while returning from trials. Finks, get the heather out of your ears and hear what Scotch shipbuilding was really was like before, in spite of vasts gifts of English taxpayers' money, the Communist Trades Unions finally got it all deservedy shut down.
  6. http://www.navy-net.co.uk/fleet-air-arm/60563-f35-bang-out-order.html
  7. I must admit there was a fair amount of licentia poetica in my post, Jimmy Reid god bless him.:)
  8. I didn't realise how big this class of ship was until i saw that pick of the dry dock image, shes a big'un!
  9. That naval architects corporate bash to Legoland paid off then !
  10. I still think it was a mistake to go non-nuclear powered with these carriers.
  11. And have to buy reactors off the Septics or worse the French???????????
  12. Would they come with watchkeepers? Submarines are that short of nuclear watchkeepers, more bribes are currently being offered.
  13. I don't think supplying reactors would have been a problem for Rolls-Royce & Associates, although disposal remains a long term issue (Dreadnought is still lingering around). But I think you hit the nail on the head - no manpower.

As for how big the thing is - I thought by now we'd moved on from the Victorian era attitude of "build it big and impress the hell out of everyone." Without a potent Air Group it's just a big floating White Elephant.
  14. I completely agree, these carriers are supposed to last 40ish years, the price of the fuel to power them by then will be gargantuan
  15. true but in terms of the carriers budget, and through life costs, nuclear watchkeepers are a tiny insignificant proportion of through life costs, even if we had to bribe them with silly wages.

its not just the cost of fuel. Think about its endurance, speed, range etc. A nuclear powerplant solves many of them both in terms of propulsion as well as powering ships systems. Could you imagine having to do a RAS in that massive carrier for fuel?? would be impractical and would mean we are dependant on either continually topping up tanks with regular RASing or dependant on having to fuel up regularly on deployment at prices we cant control. Fuel is a major consideration in planning on an FF/DD and the current carriers let alone something as big as the QE. IMO going non-nuclear is a compromise too far.
  16. The jets and helos still require fuel, and the ship will need dry stores. As soon as you need to RAS you might as well go for diesel engines.

Also the Yanks have had major issues as to where their nuke carriers can go. Very few ports allow them in.

Think of the lost cocktail opportunitites.
  17. would it ever be possible during a refit to add a few reactors? or would that require a completely new rebuild?
  18. im sure it would be physically possible but cost effective to change the design it probably is not.
  19. There going to be painted white too? Jeezz

Sorry, flippant mode <ON>