Q Ships

Discussion in 'History' started by StockForce, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any information or knows where I could get it on the Q Ship ‘HMS Stock Force’. Believe she was torpedoed off Start Point in 1918. Doing my thesis and struggling to find much information, especially any pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

2. Try this:

Q Ship

You could also try Google

Jerry

3. Hi

Here's a quick link for you to a mini-biography of Lt. Harold Auten VC, whose VC for his bravery on board HMS Stock Force can be seen at the Royal Naval Museum:

http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheets_harold_auten.htm

The RNM website also offers details of how to contact them if you are researching the RN.

4. That’s great, thanks so much for your help so far. Yep found out lots about Lt. Commander Harold Auten VC himself, and read through his book ‘Q boat adventures’ a few times. A great read and some good information on converting the Stock Force into a Q ship. However the detail I really require is more specifically on the Stock Force her itself. There is some detail in the book, but that’s about the only source I have at the moment. Will enquire more with the RNM. Thanks again for all your help.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

For more background see 'My Mystery Ships', Rear Admiral Gordon Campbell VC DSO, Hodder and Stoughton 1928 (many reprints).

6. HMS Stock Force

Ex Coaster 732 tons built 1917 armed with 2 in No 4" guns and 2 in No 12 pounders also named Charyse.
    Damaged in action against German U-boat U.98 in the channel and sank under tow 30th July 1918 off Bolt Head .
    U.98 survived the action and escaped

:nemo: :nemo: