Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PVR PROCESS

pompeyexpat

War Hero
From BR3;

Statutory Discharge Until Age 18

(1) Further to Para 5403 sub para a, ratings and other ranks who have served for 6 months retain a statutory right to end their service up until their 18th birthday by giving notice in writing to their CO. Ratings and other ranks wishing to leave the Service under this regulation will be required to complete a notice period of 3 months. This will act as a cooling-off period, providing the safeguard of a period for reflection in which the Under 18 may rescind a hasty and subsequently regretted decision and, as such, if an individual revokes their written notice to the CO, their entitlement to be discharged as of right will cease. There will be no limit to the number of occasions on which someone can apply to leave before their 18th birthday. Someone who gives notice at the final opportunity, namely the day before their 18th birthday, may serve until the day before they reach the age of 18 years 3 months.

Joshw251

Midshipman
What has brought you to that conclusion?

I'm wondering what you would do instead.
Just not interested anymore as I used to be and don’t want a sea draft and would like to spend more time with family and friends and I want to start my own business

soleil

War Hero
Just not interested anymore as I used to be and don’t want a sea draft and would like to spend more time with family and friends and I want to start my own business

Do you have the expertise and financial backing to start a business, though? It's not for the faint hearted.

What kind of business?

Joshw251

Midshipman
Do you have the expertise and financial backing to start a business, though? It's not for the faint hearted.

What kind of business?
Yeah thinking of a dog walking business or landscaping but not much experience in that so dog walking would be nice as it’s not a big set up cost and also my step mum has a dog walking business so that will help

soleil

War Hero
Yeah thinking of a dog walking business or landscaping but not much experience in that so dog walking would be nice as it’s not a big set up cost and also my step mum has a dog walking business so that will help

You really would be better off in the Navy. Financially, certainly. In terms of educational opportunities too.

You will see places you would never see while walking dogs.

With your salary, you could save for a car, with the few pounds earned from dog walking, you'd be looking at a skateboard ...............

It's best that you should know, as Branch-Hopper has already told you, that this is going to be a really bad time for setting up a business, especially one which is dependent on people having spare money to give to someone else to walk their dog. With more people working from home and with reduced income, people are going to walk them themselves.

I do hope that there is someone you can talk to who will give you good advice.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Have you thought of being a dog handler in the RN??
I was.

Joshw251

Midshipman
You really would be better off in the Navy. Financially, certainly. In terms of educational opportunities too.

You will see places you would never see while walking dogs.

With your salary, you could save for a car, with the few pounds earned from dog walking, you'd be looking at a skateboard ...............

It's best that you should know, as Branch-Hopper has already told you, that this is going to be a really bad time for setting up a business, especially one which is dependent on people having spare money to give to someone else to walk their dog. With more people working from home and with reduced income, people are going to walk them themselves.

I do hope that there is someone you can talk to who will give you good advice.
Yeah that’s true thank you

fishhead

War Hero
Yeah that’s true thank you
Don't be in a rush to rejoin civvie street. You may not have noticed but things are kind of rough at the moment with covid changing the whole landscape for jobs. Many of us(including myself) thought 6 months in that perhaps we had made the wrong choice but that applies to many other jobs too. You will make new friends once you have a ship and become part of a team. In some respects you have already done the hard yards and the best is yet to come and feeling homesick is a very common emotion. If you see your life ahead as being a dog walker being anything like satisfying you are deluding yourself the RN has given you a chance to make something more of yourself but as with most things there isn't instant gratification and the real rewards come with time.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Joshw251

Midshipman
Don't be in a rush to rejoin civvie street. You may not have noticed but things are kind of rough at the moment with covid changing the whole landscape for jobs. Many of us(including myself) thought 6 months in that perhaps we had made the wrong choice but that applies to many other jobs too. You will make new friends once you have a ship and become part of a team. In some respects you have already done the hard yards and the best is yet to come and feeling homesick is a very common emotion. If you see your life ahead as being a dog walker being anything like satisfying you are deluding yourself the RN has given you a chance to make something more of yourself but as with most things there isn't instant gratification and the real rewards come with time.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you

littleredfish

Midshipman
Our lad PVR'd and is really happy now he is back on his £200 a day. A far cry from £15,000 to £20,000. There is life outside - we can vouch for that.

Talking about leaving the Navy on a Navy forum that discusses people going in will generally result in naysayers. It seemed to us that the recruiters or process is like some kind of sales pitch where the salesman gets grumpy when someone gets cold feet.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J PHASE 2 PVR UPO/Careers Office 80
C PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
JBNVY18 Re Joining after PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Raleigh PVR policy Joining the Royal Navy 9
A Medical discharge or PVR? Joining the Royal Navy 78
F Re-applying after pvr Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Obelix Pay After PVR Finance & Pensions 6
R PVR-Re-join-Return Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
S PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
H Raleigh Kit and PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
C pvr Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Navy1 OFFICERS PVR - avoiding the whole 1 Years notice thing The Fleet 10
MoD_RSS Normalising relations between Israel and its neighbours and pushing forward and Israeli-Palestinian peace process MoD News 0
C Approval to process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Companies House to resume compulsory strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO General Council: DG Selection Process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Progressing on a political process to end the Syrian conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House resumes voluntary strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House to resume the compulsory strike off process MoD News 0
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Evaluation of court and tribunal video hearings process published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO General Council on the Director General Selection Process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House to restart the voluntary strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fisheries Response Fund (FRF) appeals process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reaching an inclusive and Syrian-led political process in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Constructive engagement in the UN-led process is needed to achieve peace in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The process of seeking a political solution in Syria must not cease MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A ceasefire and cooperation with the UN political process is the best defense against the devastating effects of Covid-19 in Yemen. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Registration Process for Visiting British Nationals in Turkey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus - Temporary changes to how we process fishing vessel licence applicatons MoD News 0
T Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J Joining process RFA 16
MoD_RSS DBS Disclosure Process Video MoD News 0
C NSMBOS process and timescale Health & Fitness 3
MoD_RSS Supporting the democratic process in Guinea-Bissau MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Troika Envoys meet to discuss South Sudan peace process MoD News 0
F Naval nurse selection process Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Aspiring teachers to benefit from simpler application process MoD News 0
C Sixth Form Scholarship Application Process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
G Application process Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Bringing the political process forward in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office overhauls police complaints and discipline process MoD News 0
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS Chancellor launches Budget process to usher in ‘decade of renewal’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS YJB responds to AssetPlus process evaluation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK urges North Korea to begin process of irreversible denuclearisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update on sales process for British Steel Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HS2 to streamline procurement process for civils sub-contractors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Listen to the Regulators Podcast on CICs new Online Account Filing process!! MoD News 0
S Potential RFA Officers - I'm happy to share my 2019 experience of interview process, BRNC, etc. RFA 16