Putting in your notice...

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by DoubleDuff, Mar 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking at putting my notice in, a tiff at the 8 year mark (done the return of service I believe)

Does anyone know the steps for doing this? I know my Divisional Officer will have to do things, but do you have to click somewhere on JPA so the system knows?

Also, in the current climate, would they make you do the full 12 months, or might they let you go early if you got a job offer? (not sure if this is the call of the ship/unit CO)

Many thanks,

2. You can go 3 months early IIRC, but see your DO and UPO, not an informal site like RR. It's all laid down in DIN's somewhere.
  3. You need to do it on JPA - 3 month bit only applies to those completing their time (in some cases).
  4. Okay, thanks.

I will have to have a chat with my DO when he has the time.

Am I guaranteed a set amount of resettlement time, even though I'm not time done?

5. "If you can be spared" is the standard "Get out of jail" reply to that.
  6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You don't just 'click' on JPA, you have to apply through JPA. This then starts the workflow notifications, interviews with DO etc that results in the final approval. This will then generate terminal dates, resettlement etc.
  7. Think twice shippers now is not a good time to be looking for a job, if I were you I would wait a couple of years until the economy has kicked back into gear. Paid 7 days a week even when you work 4 and a half isn't bad.
    Take it from me civvies are twats.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Top bit of advice there, Stan.

Unless the noticee is stuffed full of quals and experience (which the mob does not bestow you with by right) you're gonna struggle. There's a whole world of difference between having 35 days a year nailed-on leave, every Friday afternoon off, sea leave and the like and being stuck to the contractural grind and not knowing how long employment will last.

Hold on, tiffy bloke.

9. Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head, the return of service for artificers? (even though we're all fecking ETs now :angry6:)

I think it was something like 8 or 8.5 years service (from when you joined up), but I could not find it written anywhere.

Cheers my dears

10. What he said.

Unless you are going into a REALLY secure and well paid job.

A bit like the one you want to bin after only 8 years..........
  11. wal

wal Badgeman

It can be a cold world outside. I was made redundant four times and like Stan said civvies generally are twats a lot of the time. That said having done my time the pension is very nice ¾ of the way through the month.
  12. Yes agree with all points started by Stan. Not going to slate the mob 'cos I had an awsome time and loved my adventure and wouldn't change a thing. I made some seriously good friends and have some of the best memories.

That said I knew I had to go one day so made the leap and have found it surprisingly good. I am earning well I am working with my old branch mates and am enjoying the "weight off the shoulders" feeling that I got at times. If, DD you feel like a new career is for you and you (as mentioned) have the quals, don't be frightened of the leap.

However as Stan, Levers and Co said, make sure you think, re think and maybe have another think, reconsider again before you click away on JPA & do not leave over a spat or present draft.

Good luck, don't be scared out here but finally have another think about it.
  13. What will you do for work once you have left, DD? Do you have something particular in mind?
  14. If you have a good job offer and they want to get rid of you they may let you go early. But you need to talk to your DO before you do anything else.

15. Sounds like it will go to the requirements manager to decide on when I can leave. I don't hold up much hope in them letting me go slightly earlier than the 12 months. In fact, I've heard they may keep me on ship working right up to the TX date, and may not get any resettlement.

Kind of unfair when you see other people put in their notice, being allowed to go when they wanted, and got the full resettlement package (if anyone says 'that's life in the blue mate' I'll slap them :angryfire:)

Would it be beneficial to try to put an appeal in with NPFS if they try this?

Thanks again
  16. silverfox

No - is the short answer. The notice time is there for a reason. If other people are being allowed to go then that's their luck. You are not dipping out, just not dipping in.

One of my favourites after 'life in a ...'
  17. My bold. Even as a potential "quitter" you have a right to Graduated Resettlement Time (GRT) commensurate with your projected length of service. Read BR3 and the relevant JSP.
  18. You want sympathy from a matelot? You'll find it in the dictionary inbetween shit and syphilis...

Have been given that one too in the past :angry3:

Will have to check the BRd when I get the chance. You often hear of what others in the mess say 'you are entitled to', but from my experience the mob pretty much do what they want.

Thanks all.
  19. silverfox

er, no they don't. Your terminal leave and GRT leave are sacrosanct. The amount of GRT will depend on your length of service, and the JSP will tell you what 8 years is worth. As a right hand marker though, the maximum is 35 days for 16 years+
  20. silverfox

and I certainly don't need your sympathy, but thanks for asking. From the tone of your posts I rather gathered you were asking for ours. And in that case, you got the answer spot on.....