Pussers tobacco

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by dickhead, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone recall the "pricks" of tobacco the navy enjoyed until, I think, the early 1950's ( tailor-mades notwithstanding)
    Leaf tobacco was available as an alternative to the tins of "tickler" and pipe tobacco and came wrapped in tarred hemp.
    The old and bold sliced off and teased a piece for their pipes.
    Any memories?

2. My wife tells me she remembers visiting my brother on Zealous c.1945 with one or two of the hands chewing the hemp-bound tobacco. Why? she asks,were there spittoons on the mess-decks otherwise?

3. They did have spit- kids on the messdecks. =)

4. My dad was a pipe smoker, and used to have blocks of tobacco for his pipe, he also used to buy blocks of pipe tobacco which he used to cut himself, after he came out.
    As for spitkids the only place I saw them was in barracks never on ships and that was in the middle 50's

5. Oh dear, was never on a ship without them, mind you they were used for putting gash in, fag ends, empty packets etc. But they were called spitkids.

6. No Spitkids NO SPITKIDS!

I suppose they are long gone elf an safey mate elf an safey

Jack McH

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I seem to remember from 1955 that the standeasy pipe included 'place spitkids'. No doubt this goes back to Nelson and beyond (smoking was obviously not allowed in wooden ships - chewing only).

8. From Manual of Seamanship 1932

Spitkid Party.-Consists of one hand from each part of the ship, one marine and one stoker from each watch. A leading seaman is told off in each watch to take charge of this party, being detailed weekly in rotation by the chief boatswain's mate. The duty of the spitkid party is to put the spitkids out in position at the pipe, " place spitkids," and to clean out and stow them away at " out pipes."

9. You mean like fighting/