Purchasing a married quarter you currently live in?

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by dsgrnmcm, May 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning men!

Has anyone done this or does anyone know of this?

I have heard a number of dits about the pusser in 2015 changing its MQ policy and reducing the numbers or charging a higher amount equivalent to civilian rates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hope they don't sell any more MQs, I believe they are pivotal in encouraging couples to stay in the service. They are not there to provide a cheap house, just subsidised accommodation in a base area. A stepping stone. The MOD has this irritating habit of selling assets to gain a swift cash gain. Once sold, it's gone & everyone behind loses.

• Like Like x 3
  3. All service married quarters seem to be sold to one organisation at an extremly low cost.
    They then give them a lick of paint and sell on to all & sundry, though serving and ex service are suppossed to be given priority and a discount
    See:
    Key facts | Annington Homes

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Absolutely agree but I believe we should rationalise and improve the estate, improving the support and maintenance at the same time. As the economy improves these differentiators will be key to recruitment and retention.

5. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

But the whole idea of the Super garrisons for the army was to bring them into line with the RN & RAF who had career paths that rarely moved, allowing people to settle in the area and buy their house rather than having MQs, thus reducing the need for a large estate. The ethos of the powers-that-be (beancounters) is to reduce the support element required for the Forces and make Servicemen and women more reliant on themselves.

Pie in the sky to my mind but that is the idea.

6. Ninja_Stoker

To me it's a deliberate erosion of the service covenant. Another sell out by the government - watch the idiots hack & slash even more service concessions once Afghanistan is no longer in the public eye. The rot has already set in.

• Like Like x 4
  7. wave_dodger

I don't think we particularly need to encourage entire career residency but in the early years of a career a garrison or MQ life would make a big difference, then help SP transition to home ownership in the most appropriate way. Then we can reduce the size of the MQ footprint and help people which will provide a more stable future.

I do think N_S worry is a concern that needs to be addressed, it's very easy to miss some of the concessions being slimmed down.

8. WD - I agree with your sentiment, but in my (limited -2 years) experience the current MQ rules DO encourage Career Residence. In the street I lived on 80% (conservative estimate) of the residents owned property in the Portsmouth area. Absolutely agree that no more should be sold off, but there ought to be far stricter enforcement of the 'owning other property' rules (stamp out the 'oh I forgot and just renewed my rental agreement' approach) and, I would suggest, put a cap on length of residency. The 'Base Port' rules don't help either in my view.

9. wave_dodger

Read my post again matey, I said we don't need too! and I made that point because like you I live on a patch where 90% own houses (in the same city) and many are sending kids to board less than a mile from their MQ, all by the rules of course.

You been on the NZ merlot already?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

The nature of the RN is that people are more likely to move around as we are drafted as individuals rather than within a unit and because of that, it is more possible the spouse/partner will move also. SFA, so far as I'm aware, is to cover those eventualities.

Those RN personnel that are "Career Residents" through necessity, still usually buy a house in either their partners or their own "home town" hence the need for subsidised accommodation in the individual's base port area. Other arms of the service may have a more static career pattern and are more likely to be career residents in the same SFA property.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

One of my biggest gripes when I was working with the Woos at Yeovilton. Far too many people taking advantage of that (and SSSA, Disturbance Allowance, etc.); permitted within the rules, no doubt. But morally questionable when the same people drip when there's no money left in the purse to buy kit... :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  12. If it's OK for the politicians to do it then it's definitely OK for matelots.
    If Starbucks & others paid their taxes there would be more than enough for kit

13. Not sure if I agree with that, I don't see why someone should sell and buy a house every 3 years? Or be denied investing in a but to let property and living in MQ? After all aren't we after stability? Keeping the family unit together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Why couldn't you buy the quarter on a contract that you will sell it back to the MOD say 2 years after leaving. You will get money back to purchase another house when you leave and the mob gets its property back. Win win situation nobody dips out.

I should be an admiral me ; )

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

15. That was the intention of the topic, is there a mechanism to do that? I rank around and got a response that would make mongo from blazing saddles sound like a tiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. MQ's are usually sold off to some housing agent who as someone stated, gets a lick of paint and generally made attractive to sellers.

Because you are in one that is designated for sale does not necessarily mean you will be offered the property to buy.

This happened at Portland, understandably because of the closure but all around the MoD domain they regularly sell off all types of service quarters. Officers ratings the works. I do believe they sell for a reduced price but also believe there is a clause stating you have to retain the property for a number of years, 5-7, or there a-bouts.

There is, (was), a link on the MoD web somewhere that lists, (ed) all the properties for sale so you should be able to search for them.

I would be prepared to get in the queue though. Civvies at Portland were camped outside the properties they were wishing to purchase up to a week before they went on the market.

17. The idea that if they put a limit on the length of time you can live in a MQ will encourage you to buy a house in your base area is bonkers.
    Many people will put up with a lot of shit because it suits them. Take MQs away from people and they will just buy a home in their home town and leave the mob.

• Like Like x 1
  18. wave_dodger

I think thats the point of the Base Ports - broader family stability, with the ability within reason to work from a preference area - so that people don't have to buy/sell repeatedly they can choose stability.

It clearly works as some of my colleagues and neighbours have not moved in years (from MQ). I'd suggest if they are that static and their families that settled then it's time to ease out of MQ and into home ownership.

A careful line to tread here I accept, in my mind it's all about MQ as a recruiting and retention tool but I understand the pressures on SFA and the desire to drive down the size/footprint.

The bottom line is we're not the Armed Forces we were 40 years ago, so we have to embrace the new way of thinking whether we like it or not. But I do think the policy makers need to be careful otherwise a Military career will have little to offer above a civilian career.

19. wave_dodger

In principle I agree, but if they incentive the house purchase (higher LSAP) and as it is harder than ever to get onto the property ladder if pusher assists you, why not!

20. wave_dodger

I think these days more people are becoming weekly commuters or live very close to their base ports, the days of dragging your spouse/family between drafts is getting less acceptable. I suspect we have a generally higher home ownership ratio than ever before and as time goes on we are drafting/appointing people to ever smaller areas and more to the base ports. I know for example I will only ever get 4 areas of appointing in the future, from 2 I could live in my MQ, in the remainder it would be SFA on base.