Pulp Fiction

Harking back over the decades, I have fond memories of this great unwashed Western anti-hero - The Loner (Edge, book 1) by George G Gilman and I practically purchased a "book a week" (the same speed at which the author seemed to get 'em published). There just does not seem to be any pulp fiction for the masses anymore , they all cost a flippin' fortune and in my opinion, most of the stuff on the shelves don't entertain half as much as the mountains of paperbacks that passed off as fiction w-a-y back then. Anyone else out there recall reading-fodder that simply entertained ones brain, without the requirement to keep flicking back a chapter just to find out what exactly the f*ck is/was going on?

Last edited:
Try a book called The guns of the south by Harry turledove'
It's an American civil war novel where South African time travelers equip the confederate army with AK-47 rifles and so rewrite the outcome of the war and history.

Billy, invest in a kindle, Ipad or a tablet PC. Hundreds of books priced from £0.00 to a few quid in every genre. I rarely buy paper based books these days

Does anyone remember the 'Nick Carter' secret agent paperbacks from the early 70's?- like the 'Edge' books they seemed to be churned out on a regular basis.

Going to get Kindled up for my Birthday (July). Even so - an electronic reading machine won't keep me out of the charity shops and a quiet browse through their limitless supply of good old books.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Try The Works, they usually have a three books for a fiver deal going, all new and fairly recent.

There used to be some one that wrote Westerns who seemed to come out with a book a week. Zane Grey?

This is bringing back good memories......Sven Hassel, Edge plus JT Edson'.s outpourings. Got a Kindle last chrimbo and it's ace however I also got hold of an original "Very Ordinary Seaman" by JP Mallelieu a couple of weeks ago which is overdue for re-reading. A Kindle is brilliant but not quite the same as a "real" book.

This is bringing back good memories......Sven Hassel, Edge plus JT Edson'.s outpourings. Got a Kindle last chrimbo and it's ace however I also got hold of an original "Very Ordinary Seaman" by JP Mallelieu a couple of weeks ago which is overdue for re-reading. A Kindle is brilliant but not quite the same as a "real" book.
Agree with you there Wrecker, Enjoy my Kindle but still like the "feel " of a real book

I admit the electronic books do not feel quite right, and I still buy my favorite authors in print, and as I cannot normally wait for the paperbacks of certain series I get them in hardback, but the big advantage of an I-reader apart from getting cheap books, is the range of books you have almost instant access to, no bookshop can compete (although I miss browsing as the only decent bookshop in town has closed and what is left do not carry very large ranges of SciFi, Heroic/historical fiction that I tend to go for)