Pulp Fiction

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by BillyNoMates, May 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Harking back over the decades, I have fond memories of this great unwashed Western anti-hero - The Loner (Edge, book 1) by George G Gilman and I practically purchased a "book a week" (the same speed at which the author seemed to get 'em published). There just does not seem to be any pulp fiction for the masses anymore , they all cost a flippin' fortune and in my opinion, most of the stuff on the shelves don't entertain half as much as the mountains of paperbacks that passed off as fiction w-a-y back then. Anyone else out there recall reading-fodder that simply entertained ones brain, without the requirement to keep flicking back a chapter just to find out what exactly the f*ck is/was going on?
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. Try a book called The guns of the south by Harry turledove'
    It's an American civil war novel where South African time travelers equip the confederate army with AK-47 rifles and so rewrite the outcome of the war and history.
  3. Billy, invest in a kindle, Ipad or a tablet PC. Hundreds of books priced from £0.00 to a few quid in every genre. I rarely buy paper based books these days
  4. Does anyone remember the 'Nick Carter' secret agent paperbacks from the early 70's?- like the 'Edge' books they seemed to be churned out on a regular basis.
  5. Going to get Kindled up for my Birthday (July). Even so - an electronic reading machine won't keep me out of the charity shops and a quiet browse through their limitless supply of good old books.
  6. The Sven Hassell books are another series that springs to mind in a similar vein .
  7. Still got a couple of those books
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try The Works, they usually have a three books for a fiver deal going, all new and fairly recent.

There used to be some one that wrote Westerns who seemed to come out with a book a week. Zane Grey?
  9. Maybe J.T. Edson ?
  10. janner

You could be right Andy
  11. This is bringing back good memories......Sven Hassel, Edge plus JT Edson'.s outpourings. Got a Kindle last chrimbo and it's ace however I also got hold of an original "Very Ordinary Seaman" by JP Mallelieu a couple of weeks ago which is overdue for re-reading. A Kindle is brilliant but not quite the same as a "real" book.
  12. Agree with you there Wrecker, Enjoy my Kindle but still like the "feel " of a real book
  13. At that time ( 1970s) I was an avid reader of his books.
  14. janner

Wrecker feels the same about his blow up doll (smilie)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Unfortunately the blow up doll is no more, she sprang a leak and I used the puncture repair outfit on the wrong holes!!
  16. janner

I've told you before, take your teeth out before nibbling her neck.
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  17. Nimbling her neck???? Is that some local Dawzett custom?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I admit the electronic books do not feel quite right, and I still buy my favorite authors in print, and as I cannot normally wait for the paperbacks of certain series I get them in hardback, but the big advantage of an I-reader apart from getting cheap books, is the range of books you have almost instant access to, no bookshop can compete (although I miss browsing as the only decent bookshop in town has closed and what is left do not carry very large ranges of SciFi, Heroic/historical fiction that I tend to go for)
  19. Mrs Stirling Mk 1 had every book he ever published, shelf upon shelf.