Public attitude towards RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Wannabe_Officer, Mar 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't go out of my way to draw attention to my RN links, but unusually I went out today in a fleece which had the RN logo on it. I got a couple of hostile looks and one guy actually pushed me and mumbled some comment or other. I just kept on walking and didn't react, but I was shocked and actually quite annoyed that people think they have the right to do that. Is this commonplace? In future I'll keep anything with an RN logo to myself, but I still think it's appalling behaviour.
  2. Never happened to me, not that I go out logo'd up, Where do you come from?
  3. It was in Cambridge. I don't usually wear anything with the logo either, but I can't see why I shouldn't be able to because people will react badly.
  4. As it's Cambridge it's probably a lefty student type, wear it and next time ask them if they've got a problem!
  5. Should have just knocked him out. I liked it better when the public regarded us all as baby murdering bastards anyway.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Kind of the same thing happened to me when i went out in a t shirt given to me by a mucker in the Scots Guards. I went into a public toilet and nearly got bummed.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I've put that right for you mate!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. This is an excerpt from an email sent to me by someone who attended the funeral of a mutual ex-naval friend in Scotland a fortnight ago with some serving RN personnel present in uniform:

"...The one lesson I took away from the day was that the British public still have a great admiration for the Royal Navy and our uniform should be seen in public more often..."
  9. I wore uniform to the Brits the other week and didn't attract any negative interest or comments. I think you were just unlucky bud
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It was you wasn't it?
  11. You should have kicked him in the nads and then explained that, "It's an informal way of saying 'Hello' in the RN".
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Where I live any kind of military uniform is likely to get you stabbed or shot. I suppose though it would be a good 'heads-up' on training before I go in.
  13. Bollocks, where do you live? Nad-e Ali?
    • Like Like x 4

14. A certain town in Bedfordshire...
  15. Nice one, that narrows it down.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I assume he means Luton
  17. Oh, that racist infested shithole.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. He is planning on moving up the property ladder to Nad-e-ali soon though.
  19. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

What happens when you go out in your 'GAP' t-shirt?
  20. Well, you do really don't you?

I think you're an immature and paranoid tart to be honest, but I do think you should write to the Daily Mail about this non incident.
    • Like Like x 1