Public attitude towards RN

I don't go out of my way to draw attention to my RN links, but unusually I went out today in a fleece which had the RN logo on it. I got a couple of hostile looks and one guy actually pushed me and mumbled some comment or other. I just kept on walking and didn't react, but I was shocked and actually quite annoyed that people think they have the right to do that. Is this commonplace? In future I'll keep anything with an RN logo to myself, but I still think it's appalling behaviour.

G

guestm

Should have just knocked him out. I liked it better when the public regarded us all as baby murdering bastards anyway.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Kind of the same thing happened to me when i went out in a t shirt given to me by a mucker in the Scots Guards. I went into a public toilet and nearly got bummed.

This is an excerpt from an email sent to me by someone who attended the funeral of a mutual ex-naval friend in Scotland a fortnight ago with some serving RN personnel present in uniform:

"...The one lesson I took away from the day was that the British public still have a great admiration for the Royal Navy and our uniform should be seen in public more often..."

Where I live any kind of military uniform is likely to get you stabbed or shot. I suppose though it would be a good 'heads-up' on training before I go in.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't go out of my way to draw attention to my RN links, but unusually I went out today in a fleece which had the RN logo on it. I got a couple of hostile looks and one guy actually pushed me and mumbled some comment or other. I just kept on walking and didn't react, but I was shocked and actually quite annoyed that people think they have the right to do that. Is this commonplace? In future I'll keep anything with an RN logo to myself, but I still think it's appalling behaviour.
What happens when you go out in your 'GAP' t-shirt?

I don't go out of my way to draw attention to my RN links, but unusually I went out today in a fleece which had the RN logo on it.
Well, you do really don't you?

I think you're an immature and paranoid tart to be honest, but I do think you should write to the Daily Mail about this non incident.