Pub on Queen Street, Pompey

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by tiddlyoggy, Jul 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Having a chat with an oppo recently, I was trying to recall the name of a pub halfway along Queen Street, opposite side of the road from Nelson, probably where the grassy area is now. I seem to recall they had an old girl playing a piano in there. I reckon it got knocked down late 80's/early 90's, can anyone remember the name of the place please?

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The Wardroom. It's still there.

3. Seadog

On a more serious note, you may find it in here. You can find it, I'm fcuked if I'm going to trawl through it for you. The other indexed pages are linked in the link.

Portsmouth's Lost Pubs A-C

4. tiddlyoggy

Thanks SD, I'll have a look through that. A deathly quiet day at work today!!!

5. tiddlyoggy

That didn't take long! 'Twas the Blue Anchor, thanks again SD.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Depends on which side of the road you mean. There was the Blue Anchor...

[​IMG]

...or the Brewhouse opposite:

[​IMG]

7. tiddlyoggy

Come on SPB! Do keep up!

8. sgtpepperband

Seen (I've only got one screen on my laptop - can't find pubs at the same time as you were replying, can I?) :wink:

9. Have to laugh at that sign Brickwoods ales, remember as you came out of the dockyard, station end, that pub with a wall painted---Brickwoods Sunshine ales, Cor blimey it was ullage, never been beer :puke:

10. Seadog

Eeeeee, it's grim down south.

I remember it, just, although I can't say that I ever used it. An apartment block stands in that corner now.

WTF, I'm posting about Pompey pubs of the past. I'll be posting about the surplus of Lieutenant Commanders and lamenting the passing of the tot, swapping advanced uckers tactics next. Help!

• Like Like x 1
  11. sgtpepperband

...or just join ROMFT, SD! :twisted:

12. tiddlyoggy

I don't recall what the beer tasted like in The Blue Anchor, I do remember that they weren't particularly fond of Jack in there though!The phrase in the description, "the pub was very much a local's local and not the most salubrious of establishments", did make me chuckle!

13. sgtpepperband

"Las Trios Sombreros" round the corner from The Blue Anchor was certainly a bit more "Jack-friendly", although The Brewhouse definitely wasn't! I remember hearing about a late night lock-in that turned nasty when there was a fight among the locals. When the Landlord intervened he was assaulted with a pool cue, causing him to go into a coma. When he came to he suffered from acute amnesia, resulting in him remembering only events from his youth - that he was born in Newcastle, where he went to school, etc. He could not remember why he was a pub landlord in Portsmouth nor the name of his wife! :shock: Because of the reputation it had earned, the pub closed down not long afterwards.

14. tiddlyoggy

I don't remember that place SPB, although I'm pretty sure that I had a pint in the Brewhouse, just the once mind!

15. Seadog

I think SPB refers to "The Three Crowns" aka the "Senior Rates' Mess Annex" now demolished and replaced with housing.

A crushers' favourite in the early 90s as I recall.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tiddlyoggy

Still rings no bells here SD. In those days my Pompey runs ashore were fairly limited to Town centre/Southsea or the pubs en route to the Gosport ferry travelling to and from Sultan. Until recently I have been a Guzz rate ever since finishing Tiff's course, thankfully I am now back in Guzz and hope never to go to DSC again!

17. Behave, them fuckers have their own bar. Who'd want to drink with a reggie????