Ptsd and Drink

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by outside, Nov 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All,
    Just to say that can any one out there can help me as I have hit a wall about what to do next.
    I left the RN with a discharge shore due to my drinking, did 19 years and lost pension,wife,kids,ect. In the last year I was told that I have Chronic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with agoraphobic symptoms; alcohol dependence ( which I have been dry 16 years)
    This was all done at Combat Stress and the Consultant Psychiatrist there has said that he will back me 100%.
    But the Service Personnel & Veterans Agency states that Alcohol is not part of PTSD. Even with all the stuff that I posted them they do not listen to me.
    British Legion is helping me but can any one gave me some advice on what to do.

Thanks
    outside

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Alcohol is not part of PTSD, it is used to escape it. Much the same as some would use drugs to escape reality. I may be missing something here but are you saying you got PTSD through drinking?

3. No I am not saying that I got PTSD because of my drinking . What I am trying to say that drinking help me to mask what I was feeling at the time. I served in Northern Ireland and down south in both wars

outside

4. Confused now, down south inboth wars?

5. I served in Northern Ireland at the high of the civil un rest on board the Maidstone which was at the time was a persion ship.
    Served at the end of the war down south prtecting the Island for the runway to be completed.
    Lost a few friends in both wars and I was nearly killed as well but I can home.

6. Are you sure you are off the pi** these days..or are you typing with your feet ??

Unfortunately today you have woken up the "Get a feckin grip" brigade...the fluffy people may be around later.

7. I am in a wheel chair and use speak software and I do take offence to what you are applying. I only need help and if this the help that I hpoe that you out there would gave me I am very sorry to ask for it. For the record I am of the drink foe 16 years and I do hope that you sort your own life out.

outside

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Wah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. As you say you've been to various official agencies and got backing but no joy from the vets agency and the RBL are on the case what, precisely, did you think you were going to gain by asking for a way ahead on an unofficial forum?

Apart from money, what do aim to achieve?

10. If someone else has been up against the system and has some advice that they did or any points that they can gave me. As for the money yes it would be nice if I get any thing but the main reason for me is to have the decision change from discharge shore to didcharge medical. I went on this forum to see if another person has been up against the system and won

outside

11. How the feck can you be told you have alcohol dependence when you ain't had a drink for 16 years ???

"Fluffy person forums at the rush"

12. Also at the time that I was discharged I was not treated for PTSD and this is the main point of my defence

13. Well I dont know you or what you have done in life but I try and help people but all you seem to do is put people down . I only asked for help from I thought people that are from a service life and mybe have a open mind but I am glad I am not you as you seem to try and hurt people with your words of hate.

outside

14. Blackrat

There is no way you are speaking the truth. It smacks of a wind up to me. If you were really this far down the path then you would have tried somewhere other than an internet forum full of swingers.

As for me,i've done a lot in my life and continue to do so. That includes helping those that genuinely need it. If you had served as you claim, you would know what military humour is like. You are either a bored civvy or a very gifted member of this site with an alter ego. If you are a bored civvy/wannabe, join an airsofting club.

15. Well well you seem to have a happy pill and for you imformation I can take a joke as well as you seem to gave them out. As you say you help alot of people well I am very sorry for you that you can not see that I am a ex service personal who for the first time came on to this so call forum to try and find a person to help in any why but all I have had from this form is a knife in the back. I am glad that I have not any of you watching my back in a war zone.
    I had 19 years in the Royal Navy and was proud to service my country and to back mates up in our countrys hour of need. Today I am sorry to say that I am gald that none of my friends that died can she the way a person who tryed to ask for help on this site and recieved none at all.

16. Not sure if PTSD even existed as a diagnosis at that time.

I'd also like to join the "I'm not convinced" brigade.

17. Yes a bit like the Cancer that the guys got on Christmas island!!!!! which a friend off mine is still fighting his case. How many have died ??? He told me the other day Quote " The MOD are only intrested in the dead :evil: Also another one that was not known at the time,Employees at Crewe Works were required to handle asbestos on a daily basis and were not provided with protective masks until much later on. Even then, the wearing of masks was not enforced and employees were not warned of the associated dangers and risks to their health. 103 Deaths so far

18. Blackrat

Let me answer you point by point:

1. I can't see that i'm afraid. You have not been very convincing so far. Maybe i'm blinkered but not being in the Navy, what would i know?

2. Been front line have we? REAL front line on terra firma? I have. You would be glad having me watch your back. I'm a marksman.

3. I'll leave this one for the Navy types on here. If you are genuine ex Navy, i offer my heartfelt apologies and that is genuine.

4. I've had mates die as well. I've also treated wounded screaming their heads off. Don't try that one. As i have said before, there are other channels you can explore. Google is a wonderful tool. The help is out there so don't go throwing your toys out of the pram if people on here are a trifle dubious about your claims.

19. We did ours at the Home Club on the Firday around lunch time just before Xmas

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Please tell me what version of the voice recognition software you are using? And are you using it via microphone or bone mic? Please elaborate... :shock: