psychometric tests

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Njs71, Jun 30, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had an email stating that i will be contacted soon by my local (i assume) AFCO to set a date to sit the psychometric tests.

The words Happy, Pig, & Sh1t come to mind :)

I,m doing loads of revision on them with the aid of Google, Psychometric tests for dummies book and I've also completed all of the RN ones in the Armed Forces Test book that i got from Amazon. Doing the AFT Book ones for the RN i got 81% under timed conditions.

My question is how close to the real test are the ones in this book?

Does every applicant for the RFA get to do the test or are some sifted out prior to the tests?

Just for info i have applied for SG2.

Cheers guy n gals and everyone in between.
  2. Hey.

The RT questions are fairly similar to the ones in the book. The real test questions are not any more complex/hard at any rate.

Every SG2 does the test - I can't say for other departments but I believe everyone does the RT, with different scores need for different jobs.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Cheers for that...
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, the only one's sifted-out prior to the recruiting test are those identified as ineligible beforehand.

The test examples are drawn from the free versions of the test with changed values. Many claim later that they were much easier than the "real thing" but that's probably because they didn't practice against the clock. Only allow 20 secs per question, maximum when revising.
    • Like Like x 1

5. Thanks Ninja, that's what i wanted to know regarding initial eligibility.

As for the test Q's I'm well within the 20 secs a Q for all sections apart from my maths, which I'm fine with but need to speed up the way I'm working things out.
    School was a long long time ago and when i was there i didn't learn a great deal in the maths department. So, I had to find my own way of working things out, which isn't always the fastest way!

Strangely I'm really enjoying learning the correct ways to do maths problems. Never thought I'd hear myself say that about maths as I've always disliked the subject!

Sound really stupid but I'm constantly doing my 7 & 8 times table now in my head to get it up to speed and constantly adding, multiplying and dividing fractions.

As they used to drum into us when i was in the RN... Remember the 6 P's

6. Ninja_Stoker

Nearly as true as the 7p's:
    Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents..... :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. What are the time constraint for each section?

Best Regards.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

9, 9, 16 & 10 minutes respectively.
  9. 9 for reasoning?
    9 for Verbal?
    16 for numeracy?
    10 for mechanical comprehension?

And it's 30 questions a section?

Sorry if the answers for the questions are's been a long day already.

Best Regards.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

11. Indeed :icon_smile:
  12. So just for info should anyone want it
    Broken down that works out @

9 mins for reasoning?...............................18 seconds per Q
    9 mins for Verbal?....................................18 seconds per Q
    16 mins for numeracy?..............................32 seconds per Q
    10 mins for mechanical comprehension?........20 seconds per Q
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014