Psychometric testing - officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mac12t, Jun 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Navy Psychometric Test - Officer

hey all,

i recently sat my psychometric test.. and passed!.. for a rating, but failed for an officer (i want to become an aircrew officer pilot). i was told that i passed in all fields for officer except numeracy, which let me down completely! i now have to wait a whole 12 months before i can re-sit the exam (or 6 months if i can prove further learning or something), which is a bit of a bummer.. i still have to finish my a2-levels at college first anyway.

any tips on passing next time round? if i don't pass next time then that's it, a career as an officer pilot in the royal navy's fleet air arm is over and i will just have to give it a go for the raf path instead, which i don't really want to do. however, i admit i made the mistake of only using the practice test in the booklet given to me for my revision.. (thinking everything will be as simple) i definitely should've used some other sort of source for my revision and now feel like a bit of an idiot for underestimating the test by quite a large amount.

P.S. anyone else here have the same or similar problem when they sat their test too?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. Hard as it maybe to believe but RAF maths might not be any easier.
    Top tip, STUDY!

3. yeah i'm sure i will be fine next time to be honest, i was just a fool for not studying. i also know the raf maths won't be any easier, the main reason why i failed the maths is because i haven't done any maths for over 1 year and as a result, quite a lot of the basic stuff has just been erased from my brain, with some revision and maths practice i'm sure it will come back to me and my mental arithmetic will be in top-tip shape by this time next year as it was last year.

4. I've got that on DVD.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hahah oh dear, have a look now.
    thanks for that..

6. thank you soleil! really helpful stuff :) cheers

7. I think that the BBC Bitesize GCSE Maths website gets a mention in that thread, mac. If it isn't mentioned, check it out anyway - it has often been found to be useful:

BBC - GCSE Bitesize - Maths

8. thanks yet again :) appreciate your help.

9. You're welcome.

The Royal Navy Area Careers Liaison Officer also has places on courses which he/she can put you on, so I would suggest getting in touch with him/her soonish to see what might be on offer.

You might want to e-mail your AFCO this weekend to ask whether the ACLO could consider you for something like Gliding Camp/an Air Experience.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi mac12t, the exact same thing happened to me - I did alrite at Maths at school so wasn't rly too worried. And then took a bit of a blow when I didn't make the cut. Anyway, I did some practice - from tests that came out on google. Jobtestprep online were particularly useful they have a special section for the royal navy and some free tests too. I'm sure you'll make it next time!

11. Mac and Gwen,

In addition to your quest to improve your maths skills I suggest you both do likewise for your English. Doubtless you'll reply with some inane comment, such as, "I'm really good at English but don't think it's necessary on an informal forum" but your lack of punctuation, piss-poor spelling and grammatical errors confer on the reader an image of lazy and barely literate writers. Clearly such traits will not be looked upon well by the members of the AIB when you produce the same sort of waffle in your essay and verbal reasoning tests.

Yes, I am by your measurement an old git who complains too much but such sloppy writing, regularly practised, will only form bad habits which will be hard to break when you're required to do better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pontius, there is literally no reason for you to reply like that. yes, i understand english is a very important part of the selection process. however, i don't have to use PERFECT grammar on a forum like this, i got my message across in my question and that is literally all i needed to do... i really shouldn't need to worry about grammatical errors on here, why are you being so mardy?

P.S. who are you having a go at more? me or gwen?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  13. Always thought the Psychometric test was just to make sure you still wern't wetting the bed and sleeping in the same room as your Mother.:\\\\\\\')

14. sarking,
    i greatly appreciate your unproductive and patronising remark.
    does posting a comment like that heighten your self esteem or something?
    have a great day.

15. Calm down dear.Just a general comment on Psychometric testing.Wasn't suggesting you wet bed or still sleep with Mummy.

16. Okay then Mac, don't bother listening to someone who has been in the position to which you aspire and has also been heavily involved in pilot recruitment (albeit non-military). If you think it is perfectly acceptable to use lower case letters throughout your messages, construct the same messages with poor punctuation and lacklustre grammatical correctness, then carry on. The fact that you do this sort of thing will, of course, not instill bad habits into your English skills and will have no affect on your ability to write coherently and correctly when required, e.g. RN recruitment and AIB.

Just remind me how the saying goes; something about training as you fight.

Nevertheless, if you can't listen to and accept directed criticism then don't ask how you can improve yourself. I accept that you came here to seek help regarding your maths skills but if you think your arithmetic is poor but you demonstrate the appropriate level of English to pass the AIB then you are sorely mistaken.

You can either accept what's being said and act upon it, or ignore it; either way makes no odds to me. If I was debriefing one of your flying training sorties I would expect you to listen, learn and act but, sadly, if you can't accept this advice at this stage then I don't hold out a lot of hope for you being in that debrief.

PS: I am literally (since you like the aberrant word so much) having a 'go' at you both. Gwen, who seems to think the Royal Navy is not a proper noun and that it is a good idea to spell words incorrectly, such as 'alrite' and you, who seems to be missing a shift key on his computer or, alternatively, has absolutely no idea when or how to use capital letters or punctuation.

17. Pontius, I've just sent you a private message...

18. I know you weren't suggesting that I wet the bed or slept with Mummy. From my point of view however, your presumptuous comment suggested that all those who fail their first test are complete idiots, which simply is not the case.