Psychometric Test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Doosh, Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys got my PT next week and im a lil bit nervous about it anyone got any tips etc for it? Applied for air tech and was wondering what pass rate ill need for that?
    Cheers for any help

2. If there's a distinct possibility you'll be unable to complete all the questions of a particular section in the required time frame learn to answer progressively, go through the questions, quickly discarding ones you can't do and answering the easy ones before starting again and tackling the harder ones. This means you won't get stuck on a few questions at the start if there are ones later on that you could have answered easily, maximising your marks.

The downside to this method is that you have to be quick at identifying questions you'll have trouble with, if you're not then you'll waste even more time looking for the ones you can answer and end up doing less well than you would have if you tried to answer each question in turn.

Also, some people have trouble with the maths. Practice doing quick addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You will have a small amount of space to write your workings so find out if this is a help. Personally, I found I was faster when I pictured the whole calculation and did it in my head but this has the downside that, if you forget something, you have to start again while writing your workings down protects them against being forgotten as you're carrying out the calculation.

For the mechanical comprehension section parts of the mechanisms portion of GCSE systems and control is very helpful if you're not familiar with that sort of thing (you don't need to memorise all the formulae, just understand some of the principals, such as levers, gears and belts):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/systemscontrol/

3. Not sure about the pass rate but I got 96% and was offered the AET.
    Like you I was very nervous but its not as bad as you think its going to be.

GOOD LUCK!

4. Dannyboy? How did you know you got 96%? They never give marks out. They just tell you if you passed or failed.

I passed my RT test about 3 months ago. Practice taking questions against the clock. This is very important, as many people fail because they couldn't work fast enough.

Also, if you get stuck on a question you can't do, you are strongly advised to take a guess!

When I was going in for my medical, I was chatting to a guy who said he completely guessed all his answers for all 4 tests. What a lucky git! Needless to say, I asked him to pick my lottery numbers for the week, as you probably have more chance of winning the lottery than guessing everything and passing!

Pass marks for AET is about 65%. However, there is a high failure rate for AET at phase two of professional training.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Two pointers:

1. The fact that one person may find it easy does not mean that everyone else will, so the best advice to those who have yet to take the test is to practice speed & accuracy rather than give rise to false complacency.

2. The test comprises 120 questions & we don't bother to work out percentages scored, so in blunt terms, it's more likely you got 24 questions wrong rather than 96% correct. Don't concentrate on what you achieved - consider where you may have gone wrong.

6. Time management seems to catch alot of people out on these sorts of tests. They spend five minutes explaining how to cross the correct box, use that time to work out how long you can roughly spend on each one. In regards to finding out your marks, when I did my RT last week they handed each person their file to get the documents back. The marks per section were written on the front of the file with the marks required written underneath them. But as has been said its only for personal interest as you either pass or not. Good luck.

7. Murph, that website's brilliant. Just about to print out a few of those tests at work and do them. Hope you get on ok next week.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it is very similar to the real McCoy. A good find Murph.

I'll add that link to the Psychometric FAQ thread.

9. Thats the website i used when i had mine.

Its very good, just keep practising them and you will do alright. :)

10. I was told AET had to have a high pass rate?
    I didn't mean to sound bulshy about passing :oops: I was just well pleased for myself. I certainly didn't mean to sound big headed.
    As for knowing my percentage I was told it and another lad I was talking to was told his as well?

As others have said just practise and watch the time you spend on each question.

11. AET does have one of the higher RT score requirements yes.

Dannyboy, if you got 96% I think someone needs to swot up on their maths. Since 96% of 120 is 115.2, either your AFCO were generous and gave you an extra .2 of a mark for effort or you actually scored 96/120, which is actually 80%. Considering it's about the same level as the 11+ or key stage 2, I wouldn't go applying to mensa just yet.

12. Sorry if I am a pain in the a** but I was deffinately given a score of 96% for my RT.
    I have no intention of applying to mensa now or in the near future :)

I just want to join the navy :D

Ninja Edit: No you weren't, we do not convert scores into percentages, the score is marked out of 120, not 100.

13. Good luck Doosh Ive got mines next week also im bricking it. Im just going to go over as many questions as I can and hope for the best !

14. When i passed we were told if it was a Pass or Fail, he said "dont bother looking for any marks written down cos were not telling you"

15. Completely agree. I used this site before taking my aptitude tests last December and have to add that I think that the real test is quite a lot easier...as long as you don't let the pressure get to you.

Better to be overprepared I would say. Make sure you time yourself when you practise.

16. When I took my test we were all called in to a room individually to talk to someone, and I did get given my mark, 108/120. I'm not sure if they told everyone though...

Nathan

17. Hey I've got my test tomorrow. Just read through the booklet again and it says you will be invited back for an interview. Just wondered if this is on the same day??
    cheers guys

18. Ninja_Stoker

Not unless your letter specifically states you will undergo a selection interview after the recruiting test.

Best of luck - hope your username doesn't have to be altered.