Psychometric test

Hi I am going to be doing my recruitment test soon the jobs that I am interested in are Weapons engineer , Aet and marine engineer how high of a score will I need to achieve for these roles ?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It doesn't really make any difference if we were able to disclose the precise scores required unless the individual knows how many they've scored correctly at the time and plans nipping outside for a beer and a fag when they've answered enough, it achieves little else.

Suffice to say, score as high as possible, particularly in the Maths &-Mechanical comprehension sections.

If you achieve 66% correct in each of the four sections you'll be OK.

I asked for my score back but they wouldn’t give it me, I passed with a high enough score to be a rating, but not an officer, however I only applied as a rating anyway! I’m guessing I got around 75% on most papers, just make sure you wear a watch and keep track of time so you know when to quickly guess the last few!

Sumo

War Hero
Standard exam technique, total number of points for paper divided by time given, allocate that amount of time for each question multiplied by point value of question, be strict and stick to your time.

If a 10 point question had 10 mins then on average you will get 7 points in the first 3 mins.

Example paper has a total of 120 marks and set for 1 hour that is 2marks per min, if a 10 mark question you have 5mins, simple init. This gives you a chance to get to all questions.

If a psychometric type paper, divide number of question by time given, shows how fast you have to move, if you are educationally challenged, e.g. Dyslexic it make it know, some not all test may allocate you more time?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
if you are educationally challenged, e.g. Dyslexic it make it know, some not all test may allocate you more time?
Unfortunately, for the RN Recruiting Test, we need people to be able to rapidly and accurately interpret and respond whilst under pressure (in this case, strict time constraints).

At risk of appearing flippant, in an operational situation, we cannot ask an enemy to hang on a couple of minutes whilst we interpret the intelligence data available and respond appropriately.

The test is printed on pastel coloured paper and printed in arial round font to aid those with dyslexia but on average, they have 18-20 seconds to answer each question and 30 seconds per question in the maths section.

Dyslexia isn't a bar to entry, but the test must be passed at precisely the same standard under the same test criteria.

Sumo

War Hero
@Ninja_Stoker noted, responding to the big and complex picture is a Dyslexic skill, most of us have speed of reading issues mine is down about 30%, if input is pictorial dyslexic strengths
remember my entry paper it was a mix of pictures and text, swings and roundabouts.

Unfortunately, for the RN Recruiting Test, we need people to be able to rapidly and accurately interpret and respond whilst under pressure (in this case, strict time constraints).

At risk of appearing flippant, in an operational situation, we cannot ask an enemy to hang on a couple of minutes whilst we interpret the intelligence data available and respond appropriately.

The test is printed on pastel coloured paper and printed in arial round font to aid those with dyslexia but on average, they have 18-20 seconds to answer each question and 30 seconds per question in the maths section.

Dyslexia isn't a bar to entry, but the test must be passed at precisely the same standard under the same test criteria.
Interestingly I sat the recruits test for both the RN and the army (BARB). I'm dyslexic and I scored a very high percentile in the RN recruiting test but a good but not very high score for the BARB, in fact the major said that my BARB score was from his experience, slightly on the low side for someone with a degree. One of the difference I felt is that the RN test, tests skills that use more regularly e.g. reading and numeracy for which I have developed coping mechanisms for. In addition I felt the BARB is more of a sprint compared to the RN test.