Psychometric resit

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mordz, Aug 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heyy any info on this would be great.
    I sat my psychometric test today for a position as a warfare officer and missed out borderline for officer position. The AFCO informed me he thought I was better off resitting in 3 months than applying as a rating due to my scores across the rest of the board and he felt I had officer potential

My query is I'm so keen to get the out of the way and am a little gutted I've fell at the first hurdle, I was hoping to be really ramping up the training ready for the PJFT but feel I'm stagnant with my application. If I have a word with my AFCO about this and how I'm making sure I'm fully prepared this time is there any chance he'll let me sit a test late sept. Or should I just be glad I have another shot and not waste his time.

Any help would be appreciated
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I rather think you AFCO will have advised 12 months to re-sit, or 6 months if you are still in full time education and a "near miss", worthy of consideration of a waiver. Three months is not an option for a Recruit Test re-take.

If you were a "near miss" then presumably there are a fair few ratings jobs which you could consider. Perhaps joining as a Rating then later applying for Officer within the service is worth consideration?

Give your AFCO a call to verify the timescale for a re-take & check alternative ratings jobs available to you without a re-take.

Good luck, there's more than one way to achieve your goal.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I am still in full time education maybes he meant 3 months to start looking at booking a place. I'll give them a ring to confirm. I'm pretty sure it was 1 mark I missed out on but there has to be a cut off point.

I'm guessing a resit in late September would be unheard of then. Just keen to get the ball rolling that's all. I understand there's other options but a 6 month wait to try and get direct entry first I may as well and try and keep as many doors open as possible

Thanks for the advice.
  4. JCT

JCT Badgeman

How did you find the RT? I've got mine next week. Any useful tips/pointers?
  5. I found it not too bad. It's all about speed though mate you have 18secs to do each those literacy questions I fell behind a little and that's where I fell short unfortunately. I'd dress smart as well a few didn't and they looked and felt out of place.

Good luck
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JCT

JCT Badgeman

Alright, cheers for that. That's pretty much what I've heard. Super simple stuff, just bloody quickly. Was planning on going in a suit, just replacing the suit jacket with a smart jumper.
  7. Not "super simple stuff" by any means. I expect, with a week to go, you've ducked into more than a few sample tests to see what you are up against. It isn't solely a race against the clock as you will have to exercise the grey matter also.