Psychometric Recruit Test Preparation and Review

Haha! I like to work hard anyway tbh! Do you mean that SA's don't really get hard work and it's a skive compared to chef? If so, I'd say that's not a bad thing! ! I can see through the friendly banter and imagine it's actually a good career when you think about It! Unless you're a person who is a afraid of working hard or is easily put off by minor things and dosent like cooking or something! People say that chefs get hardly any time to keep fit etc, is this true? As I like to work out every other day, I'd imagine you'd have time to, as the navy want their sailors fit? :) thanks for the replys guys!

Haha! I like to work hard anyway tbh! Do you mean that SA's don't really get hard work and it's a skive compared to chef? If so, I'd say that's not a bad thing! ! I can see through the friendly banter and imagine it's actually a good career when you think about It! Unless you're a person who is a afraid of working hard or is easily put off by minor things and dosent like cooking or something! People say that chefs get hardly any time to keep fit etc, is this true? As I like to work out every other day, I'd imagine you'd have time to, as the navy want their sailors fit? :) thanks for the replys guys!
You'll work a watch system that will give you time to train if you wish. How much time will depend on the watch system and on the ship. Even different ships of the same type may work different watches, but rest assured, you'll have time for phys.

Hi guys,

I thought I'd share my experience on this forum since other opinions helped me throughout my preparation massively. I had my test today and the position I went for was UGAS (marine engineer) which I passed. For clarification the score I needed was 80/120.

With much controversy regarding the how 2 become series, I believe this book (navy version) helped massively with timing and the type of questions you'll face. (Not so much mechanical comprehension). I fell like the book was harder in places such as reasoning and literacy, however this proved an advantage when facing the real thing.

Another book, which I fully recommend is - Royal Navy RT test 2016-17. This book was the most similar to the real test and provides 4 full tests!

Breakdown:

Reasoning - swot up on psychometric testing in general, for shapes - look for symmetry, rotation and number of objects. For number patterns, look to see if there are two patterns within the numbers given. I.e 1,3,2,6,3 - next is 9.

Literacy - can't say much, just use practice examples to get used to the question layouts.

Numeracy - I found this was the easiest for me (only if you prepare)!!! 16 mins is plenty to solve problems such as addition (long including decimals). Swot up on fractions (+\*-). Fractions to decimals, decimals to fractions and percentages. There was an odd number of algebra (basic). Geometry, especially degrees rotation. Also decimal places and significant figures (rounding in general)

Finally mechanical comprehension - unusually for me, the hardest. I think this was due to the fact that the questions take more working out (especially in 10 minutes). Swot up on electrical symbols, simple circuits, pulleys, gears, leavers and some mechanical advantage problems,

Make sure you prepare, I prepared for 2 months doing multiple problems. One of the most important things to do is excersise your brain with any problems you can find. Anything helps. Make sure you time yourself! I brought a watch, and definitely needed it! Oh and be prepared to wait about an hour for your results.

Passed my test recently. I practised a revised everynight for the test which payed off as i passed.

Its vital you practice with in the times, when i practised at home i could manage in the times but during the test when the pressures on i didnt answer all of the maths questions in time. I was harder than i anticipated even after buying a test book and completing a test every night. I would recommend buying a test book it helped alot! I honestly thought i failed once i finished it because of it being more difficult than i thought it would be.

Got told my english was great on the test which was the section i struggled most on during practice tests so im chuffed with that! Got my first choice in an engineering role aswell so im over the moon!

Goodluck everyone! Practice practice practice!

In regards to the mathematics section, and the geometry that people have had on theirs previously, I'm studying as much as possible on geometry also.. but are the questions asking you to figure out angles on parallel lines etc? Or is it more so circumference of circles etc?

Just trying to narrow down, because there's a heck of a lot for geometry. I have everything else down other than geometry & trigonometry.

I don't recall there being much geometry at all in the numeracy section. There are questions like "The clock reads 3pm, how many degrees will the hour hand have turned when the time reaches 8pm", that's about as hard is it got.

In regards to the mathematics section, and the geometry that people have had on theirs previously, I'm studying as much as possible on geometry also.. but are the questions asking you to figure out angles on parallel lines etc? Or is it more so circumference of circles etc?

Just trying to narrow down, because there's a heck of a lot for geometry. I have everything else down other than geometry & trigonometry.
It's pretty much as Kelvin said, that's exactly the kind of thing they ask in the numeracy section. There will probably also be some multiplication (no calculators) so if you don't know it already learn how to do it with bigger numbers. Looking at some of the practice tests one question is simply 44 x 28.

Probably some equation type stuff as well - Solving for x or some such - and there will definitely be geometry. Calculating areas/volumes. Hope it all goes well for you, and hopefully you'll be enjoying a career in the future!

And shutter island, out of curiosity, which engineering job were you going for?

It's pretty much as Kelvin said, that's exactly the kind of thing they ask in the numeracy section. There will probably also be some multiplication (no calculators) so if you don't know it already learn how to do it with bigger numbers. Looking at some of the practice tests one question is simply 44 x 28.

Probably some equation type stuff as well - Solving for x or some such - and there will definitely be geometry. Calculating areas/volumes. Hope it all goes well for you, and hopefully you'll be enjoying a career in the future!

And shutter island, out of curiosity, which engineering job were you going for?
Thank you! I have my RT on the 12th September.

The physics side - I've read that electrical circuits & forces are involved. Is there much else for physics I should look at?

It's not physics exactly, but it's called Mechanical Comprehension. It's basically how well you're able to figure out puzzles in your head.

One example I remember is a disc with three points on it, and you have to state which point will travel the furthest distance. There's also some stuff about compass directions, and distances between points. That sort of thing.

If you look here:

- http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/joining/get-ready-to-join/practise-for-rt-test/reasoning

There's a couple of example-type questions to give you an idea of what sort of things they'll ask, just there'll obviously be more questions in the actual test. Plus it's got them for each section, which is a bonus.

I always struggle with Maths, where is the place to get better? Its too late for school or college as I work full time but struggle still...
I went back to basics with GCSE bitesize maths. It's got everything for Algebra, Percentages, Fractions etc.

The physics isn't too bad on there either.

Question for the others - the Algebra side, do they request for the answer to be 'like terms' frequently on any Algebra questions? I have my RT tomorrow, eeeeek.

Last edited:
Nothing that complicated. If there's an algebra question it'll be like: 3x + y = 7, if y = 1 then x = ?. I also wouldn't worry about any particular aspect too much, there's generally only 1 question on each technique (accept maybe converting to percentages). Just concentrate on ticking an answer for all of the questions.

Nothing that complicated. If there's an algebra question it'll be like: 3x + y = 7, if y = 1 then x = ?. I also wouldn't worry about any particular aspect too much, there's generally only 1 question on each technique (accept maybe converting to percentages). Just concentrate on ticking an answer for all of the questions.
I'm more panicking about the mechanical side - I honestly believe I'm not fully prepared for that from how difficult everyone is making it sound.

photface

Lantern Swinger
I'm more panicking about the mechanical side - I honestly believe I'm not fully prepared for that from how difficult everyone is making it sound.
Get yourself a psychometric test book from the library and just keep practicing. It'll get your brain used to the types of questions you may encounter. You can even choose to focus solely on mechanical comprehension. What really worked for me was just practice practice practice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk