Psst! Wanna buy a dockyard?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seaweed, Dec 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2. Well we don't use it anymore so get rid. There's plenty of real estate at Devonport we could sell also, rather than using it to store empty beige filing cabinets and knackered old DIMPS terminals.

3. Yes, I'll buy if they'll sell it to me in the same manner as Rover was sold, for quid!
    Then I'll make a mint on the upturn by turning it all in to 'luxury' flats with f'all parking. In the process turning the place into something looking like a hundred other towns across the country.
    But yes in answer, if the place can't be used and we have only a handful of ships to be serviced, then why not sell it.

4. Agree get rid ASAP it's not hallowed ground and has served it's purpose.

5. Would make sense to get some financial profit from it yes. Otherwise maybe use it to build new forces families accomodation etc. Something useful anyhow

6. I can't make it out - is that the area with Victory Building, St Anne's Church, the now closed ONA etc etc?

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Thanx, Stix. This does appear to tie in with the current roadworks that are opening up 'Victory Gate'. Interesting to see what the City planners will be saying in regard to the various old buildings in the target area, including the old RN Academy building with the cupola on top, topped by a golden ball that was used for teaching the elimination of sectant errors. btw Google seems to have moved the RN Museum but the correct posn is doubtless known to RRs anyway.

8. St Ann's church, the dockyard wall, and several other buildings in the yard are listed. Is that long building where they used to make ropes? If so, then from memory it too is listed, but I haven't found it with a cursory check.

9. Appoint a third Sea Lord withh associated offices He/She could assume the role relegated by Princess Anne's husband , what rank is he now? As the person overseeing morale.

10. Merdcedes will be buying it...

11. Nice to see South Terrace again, had a really satisfying job there for 2 years.
    Great to look out of the office window and see a tennis court

12. Ditto (just over 1 year) - but my office looked out over the side road (a sort of "out of sight, out of mind" billet perhaps) and not much of a distraction on the view front.