PSPs Used To Help Train Sailors

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by TattooDog, Nov 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Portsmouth Evening News:

It's game on for sailors who have been given portable consoles to help them train while they are at sea.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As PSP 3000's cost about £130 each & the mob has invested £50K, so far providing 230 of them, one would sincerely hope that the unit cost together with the engineering program eventually costs a fair bit less than £217.39 per PSP.

I thought Sultan was already doing something similar with ET(ME) Computer Based Training so one would hope that there was a cross-over of technology rather than independent stand-alone projects less than 3 miles apart.
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

'Beasty' Williams - the only officer I know whose joining interview with the Cdr ended with the words

"and by the way, your leave is stopped......"

Getting ROB'd inside 12 hours of joining has got to be some kind of record........
  4. Nothing used to cheese me off as much as sitting in the mess square at sea, trying to have chat with about 15 new lads who are just playing on their PSP's.

Aggravating, unsociable things.
  5. Sound like my type of occifer :p
    Wish he had been my D.O.
  6. Surely spending 120 sods on a decent snap on tool kit would be far more advantageous to our tool bag carrying ETs, than a PSP, seeing that the RATs tool system is a complete farce.
  7. You'd be lucky to get even a screwdriver for 120 from snap-on.....even at trade/mil pricing!

Snap on are over rated and way over priced !

There's an idea for a poll!

8. Just pulled Snap on out of the air, doesnt matter what make, but a fully stacked imp/metric toolkit would be more useful than a PSP.
  9. My preference has always been for King Dick.

The tool company.
  10. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I know of a young officer who joined their ship at night, had an "incident" that night and their joining and leaving call was the same thing.
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oh yeah, riiiight. Not the old "I know a bloke..." gag! Did this fella go on to become a PWO on an LPD, by any chance?! :shock: :wink:
  12. Pink and fluffy summed up in one phrase:

"It's the idea that they can just do it when they want to. So if they are having a bad morning and they aren't following the lesson, they can pick it up later on with the PSP.'"

No wonder the Royal Navy is percieved to be going downhill
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ballistic: Well that defeatist attitude isn't going to help, is it? The PSP is just an aid to teaching; another method of learning, not the only method of learning. Gimmick, perhaps. But a sign that the RN is willing to move into the 21st Century. And it utilises gaming skills, which come as second-nature to many young kids these days, which can become very beneficial in a warfare environment...

CBS News: "Uncle Sam Wants Video Gamers" (One of many similar programmes running in the military at the moment)
  14. Defeatist? Not at all. I'm simply pointing out that "when they want to" can be seen as a wishy-washy way of military training as seen by the general public, some of whom read the original reference.

Edited for red wine spelling
  15. Knowing what a forward thinker you are Ballistic, I'm surprised at your stance here.

Surely anything which aids training, particularly for you technical fellows, is an asset?

Whilst good PR is handy, something such as this is hardly going to stir the soggy loins of the Daily Hate readers is it? They are far more bothered about darkies eating swans.

'puter generation is here to stay. Crack on.
  16. I'm not being a Luddite. I just don't think that "If they're having a bad morning" fits in with a military training ethos.

It would probably be churlish of me to point out that the enemy doesn't give a toss whether you're having a bad morning or not... so I won't.
  17. They've not 'heard' you twice Ballistic, maybe a PSP will help them understand!

Allow me to translate Ballistic...

A key feature of British military culture is the drive to get things right first time, even when the pressure is on. Justifying the use of technology to aid training on the grounds that the individual may be "having a bad morning" (row with missus, lost at uckers, still lashed up from the day before, oppos maskered him to his bunk, didn't like the eggs at scran) is pandering to the negative aspects of modern day gaming culture (it's OK I'll just start level one again, what's the cheat to get me to level 6, no I really am SF because I can clear the airport scene in COD Modern Warfare 2). Yes there are many benefits in exposure to these devices and the virtual world therein but fostering determination and a high self expectation to succeed in a world that doesn't stop and start at the press of a button are not two of them.

Edited to declare mini Sat lie in rant over... now what? go for a run, no sack it, pass me my PSP will you luv!

Edit No2 - For "British military" above please read RN and Army, obviously wouldn't include the crabs when taking my high horse for a canter around the standards paddock...

Edit Nos3, 4, 5 - For gash grammar and punctuation, sack it should have just left it as was and declared, "a bad morning"!
  18. For what it's worth, I think Ballistic made a very valid point. Training isn't just learning facts and their means of application; it's also about forming mental attitudes and thought processes. A "sod it" learning attitude can easily lead to a "sod it" general attitude.