Psoriasis affecting Royal Navy recruitment

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Bonbon, Jan 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am interested in joining the RN as an air traffic controller.
    However I have had Psoriasis which was treated 7 years ago with UV light therapy. I no longer have active Psoriasis, will I get accepted or not?
    (I have already been rejected by the army but I hear the raf/RN have lower medical standards)
    Thanks I just want to know if I try cheers

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. The standards are the same for the RN, Army and RAF. If you have had UV treatment then you are, I'm afraid, ineligible for entry to any of the 3 Services.

3. Thanks for the reply I found this on-line would it change anything?
    "As the Committee is aware, the RN and RAF may accept some applicants with psoriasis, depending on the severity of the condition and the type of employment sought. Those who have previously been rejected by the Army would be considered on their merits, as in all other cases. Applicants must declare if they have had an application rejected by one of the other Services and where an applicant to the RN or RAF has previously been rejected by the Army on medical grounds, the medical notes would be obtained and submitted to the RN or RAF medical directorate for advice."
    http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200001/cmselect/cmdfence/29/29ap07.htm

4. I refer you to my previous answer, which is more precise than your rather wooly quote.

5. Okay thank you very much for your time.

6. Can I just ask how would having psoriasis treatment seven years ago affect me carrying out my duties sitting at a desk in a state of the art warship, its hardly fixing helicopters out in the hot dusty deserts?

7. When did you get Rejected from the Army? And i would imagine them to have the lowest standards, fitness wise etc

8. Please tell me you're just fishing!!

9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Moderator cap on. A warning for sphinxpawww.

Stay out of recruitment threads. You're not qualified and not funny. You post , I delete.

10. Bonbon - you don't know what your job will entail. Part of your job may involve sitting at a desk but I assure you there is more to the Navy than that. There are all sorts of noxious substances in warships which will make psoriasis worse.

11. Mod (another one) - save it for Lils Sphinx. Don't crayon serious threads.

AD

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  12. Food and regulators?
    Sorry, couldn't resist, but on a serious note it seems that a good percentage of young hopefuls come on this forum knowing the answer to their questions, and seem to "wish" a different outcome.
    When not forthcoming they argue with the advisor.

• Like Like x 1
  13. As an example one guy on board had skin like this at the start of a trip
    [​IMG]
    at the end of a trip was taken off swathed in bandages looking like this.
    [​IMG]

14. How did you get on, Bonbon?

15. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I have suffered from Psoriasis all my adult life. Prior to RN, who I must admit tried very hard to combat it. UV treatment, coal tar baths, in winter I might add, and the most bizarre, taking blood from my arm an re-injecting it straight into my arse! When in the FES or anywhere hot and sunny I seemed to go into remission. It never stopped my career, thank goodness. What a shame that it can be a determining factor in recruitment.

16. Different navy these days Granny, not so many people about to cover for you when being treated plus if you're foreign there's no pusser's bases nearby where you can be landed for treatment. Most people in the mob these days come into contact with various chemicals, oils and greases which weren't around in the old days and if you get a medical discharge due to the condition if it worsens, then that's more costly to the government purse pension wise, which is probably the over riding factor..

17. I seem to remember skin conditions being quite prominent during deployments, one reason being bandied about was the quality of the drinking water onboard.

I myself suffer from contact dermatitis on my hands which is just great for someone who spends all day covered in gun oil. Surgical gloves are a must for me or I end up with itchy little zit like spots on my hands. Likewise I always have to wear those plastic gloves when filing the car up.

Incidentally a random bloke once gave me a massive bollocking on the forecourt of Tesco petrol station in Brent Cross for not wearing gloves. He explained that he worked for a petro/chemical company as a chemist and that in his professional opinion, one of the biggest causes of testicular cancer was blokes getting diesel/petrol on their nads after not washing properly before going for a piss. I've worn gloves ever since.

Cheers for the tip, random chemist petrol forecourt dude.

18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Funnily enough my ex-wife was convinced I had a severe foot infection and made me go to the Doctor for a check up, because when I returned from deployment all my socks had a funny smell... :shock:

Another theory is the fact that most men keep their mobile phones in their 'money' pockets of their trousers.

19. You are suppossed to use only one sock for special ops sgtP:wave:

• Like Like x 1
  20. A Back Aft Stoker on one Boat got it on his todger from not washing his hands before having a piss, Ouch!