protein powder at raleigh?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by denzell, Apr 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I found a old post for 4 or 5 years ago on this website about items that was allowed to be taken to raleigh such as protein powder, the thread say's it is allowed, is this still the case?

just wondering if you're allowed to take protein to help with not dropping to much weight with all the cardio etc.

Thanks.

2. You are going to Raleigh pal, not Lympstone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You are not allowed any supplements of any kind whilst in Phase One training as the food provided is sufficient for all your needs.

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

A reliable source tells me that's gold dust currency down the gym. I see you having tea and biscuits with the PTI's whilst the rest of your class are sweating like blind lesbians in a fishmongers. Just pack another suitcase full.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lol hilarious. made me laugh.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

6. "blind lesbians in a fishmongers"! That's proper class that is! Lmfao!

7. Let me save you a fortune:

They don't work.

I don't care what the guys in the GNC shop said, or the huge mirror-staring guys at the gym, or your Internet research. There have only been a few well designed trials and reviews done and none showed any benefit from these powders over placebo. They all quite scientific evidence but most of the studies are crap.

And, even if they did work, you can't take them to RALEIGH. Not that you'd have time to sculpt muscle anyway - there'll be plenty to do to keep you occupied.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I sometimes read martial arts mags or fitness mags and they are always stuffed full of ads for this junk. I laugh my socks off with the hyperbole used in them. One time I read the ingredients of a bottle of fat loss pills and saw that they had nothing in them that I don't have in my food anyway, like green tea, chillies, even orange peel (I do Chinese cooking a lot). If you want nutrition, eat some food. If you want to give your money away donate it to a worthwhile charity.

9. Protein powder is just a supplement. There's nothing not to work about it.. You can't purely get big off taking protein powder but it is a useful source of protein say after a workout as it's delivered to the muscle quickly.. The adverts do overhype these things but you can't discredit it as a waste of time

10. He can. He's a doctor.

• Like Like x 1
  11. And I've studied them!

There is no good quality evidence that protein shakes aid muscle buildup (or, strangely, weight loss as some of them also do). Loads of crap studies have been done but you can't take messages from crap studies.

It's no skin off my nose if you use them - it's a huge industry so you're not the only gullible one. But there will be insufficient time in basic training to do all the gym work you need to do in order to justify your purchase.

12. The way I understand it is that it works a little like cigarettes. You don't need it, it doesn't help, it doesn't make you cool but if you start taking it your body becomes crapper at absorbing protein because there is so much of it. So when you stop taking it, it takes a while for your body to get used to absorbing protein the normal way during which you have less protein than you should. At no point do you get extra protein to make you buff.

In short: drink milk

13. I suppose i am one of the gullible ones. I take the powders on and off depending how much im training. However I don't use or even think they do help build muscle as I dont want to become he-man anyway! I always assumed to use them just as a recovery supplement as from doing a little reading about them i just make sure theres a decent protein amount and it has BCAA's in there. I fully admit to being lead to believe they help in this fashion but aware this could just be a placebo effect......

My main point being can i take from this that they don't even really assist with repair? Before anyone jumps in with just eat a healthy well balanced diet (which i do 80% of the week) is i have the powder for simple ease to deliver the nutrients straight after a training session....

14. For recovery just take a handful of mixed nuts, a litre of water and have a ****. Works for me, and I can lift a fat girl clean in to the back of my van.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Similar question Doc, is Creatine worth drinking? I drink a bottle of squash with a teaspoon of creatine in it after running and I was wondering if it was actually any good?

16. I think it's about time AD started a consultancy for explaining to gullible people who believe all the bollox on this sport food/drink get fit quick/gain weight quick/lose weight quick/get big muscles quick* charade.

*delete as applicable

17. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I asked if I could take protein powders to Raleigh, they told me "No whey!"

• Like Like x 1
  18. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So were those glucose tablets you'd get in the rat packs back in the day a load of shit?

Not that I ate them, they went in the same bin as the garibaldi bikkies.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's interesting that a despite a Raleigh Instructor advising supplements are not permitted & a qualified Medical Officer saying they are a waste of time, that there are those who persist in wasting their money.

Then again, I'm all for taxing the gullible.

One thing I have noticed is that those taking protein shakes within 48 hours of a medical often get made temporarily medically unfit due to raised levels of protein in their urine, which is a good indicator of how much of it actually gets absorbed by the body. Or not.

20. There is another method of receiving pure protein but as this isn't Lil's I won't go there. :)