Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prospective submariners?

mick1199

Midshipman
Currently going through the application process to (hopefully) join as a Marine Engineering Technician within the Submarine Service and I was wondering as it is apparently such an in demand role for the RN, are there many others who frequent this site who have applied to similar roles? Currently awaiting a face to medical so almost there I hope. How long do you usually wait for face-to-face medical with the current circumstances. Similarly, has anyone else got any bearing on potential start dates for Raleigh? My role wasn’t classed as fast track on the careers site when I applied, then it was, and now it isn’t again so I don’t know whether that’s going to impact on my application taking longer though I was told my role was priority. I understand that generally all submariner roles seem to be fast tracked given the manpower shortage.

Chomping at the bit to get to Raleigh so any advice in that regard would be much appreciated as well. Fitness is getting there and I’m managing a relatively comfortable time for the PJFT time. I understand questions like this get asked all of the time but it’s refreshing to get some advice for the most recent intakes.

Was unsure whether to put this here on actually in the submariners section.

Jonadame

Midshipman
Hi mate,

Yeah think you are right at assuming submariner roles tend to be priority so I assume no matter what the website says, you will be going quicker than most. To give you an idea I applied for AET in May and just getting onto fitness test now. Date estimated March onwards of 2021.

No one will be able to give you a date, as it’s different for everyone and Raleigh takes people every week from what I’ve seen! When did you first apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently going through the application process to (hopefully) join as a Marine Engineering Technician within the Submarine Service and I was wondering as it is apparently such an in demand role for the RN, are there many others who frequent this site who have applied to similar roles? Currently awaiting a face to medical so almost there I hope. How long do you usually wait for face-to-face medical with the current circumstances. Similarly, has anyone else got any bearing on potential start dates for Raleigh? My role wasn’t classed as fast track on the careers site when I applied, then it was, and now it isn’t again so I don’t know whether that’s going to impact on my application taking longer though I was told my role was priority. I understand that generally all submariner roles seem to be fast tracked given the manpower shortage.

Chomping at the bit to get to Raleigh so any advice in that regard would be much appreciated as well. Fitness is getting there and I’m managing a relatively comfortable time for the PJFT time. I understand questions like this get asked all of the time but it’s refreshing to get some advice for the most recent intakes.

Hi Mick,
Try getting used to the likes of these Regimental Brooches-

1602793521214.png

Time will come soon enough when you'll soon be the proud wearer of these new gizzits, think of them as bits of Lego - a pain underfoot but the finished article is well worth all the time and trouble caused along the way.

mick1199

Midshipman
I heard that the AET role seemed to be pretty saturated. I only applied just over a month or go so things moving pretty quickly in hindsight. The recruitment test wasn’t going ahead at the time so that’s one step already ruled out. Instead they just went off of my GCSE results. At the same time apparently PRNC isn’t going ahead either until sometime next year so they’re just giving out start dates and that’s that. Was told after my triage call that any submariner or royal marine roles are being given priority at the moment when it comes to who gets dibs on the face-to-medical, which is what I’m waiting on for the moment. I knew there were a LOT of intakes for Raleigh but I didn’t realise it was every week.

As for the black dolphins I seen they’ve only just started giving these out recently to submariners in training. Quite a few people don’t seem too happy about it, reckon it’s taking away from actually earning your dolphins for real. At the same time though it’s a nice gesture to recognise people as they go through training and it’s obviously a bid to try and improve visibility of the service to attract more people.

shadyhawk

Applied in May for Weapons Engineering Technician (submarines), start date end of January, In face medical was at least a month and a half after the phone call. They went over my exam results instead of doing tests and as far as I am aware they started the pre joining course again for January (however COVID restrictions just changed). I was told I wasn't doing the Pre joining course because it would have been a week before my start date. Good luck with CAPITA...

mick1199

Midshipman
Applied in May for Weapons Engineering Technician (submarines), start date end of January, In face medical was at least a month and a half after the phone call. They went over my exam results instead of doing tests and as far as I am aware they started the pre joining course again for January (however COVID restrictions just changed). I was told I wasn't doing the Pre joining course because it would have been a week before my start date. Good luck with CAPITA...
Cheers for the heads up. Still waiting on Capita but ended up paying my GP to send off medical documents myself. That said with these bloody new restrictions I think my wait will now be even longer. Planning on ringing tomorrow and seeing what the crack is. Otherwise, AFCO said start date might be around roughly Feb, but could be earlier or later. I’m wondering how these new restrictions are going to further mess with the application process. I applied at the back end of August from what I can remember.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Prospective logistics officer - who am I responsible for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Questions from a prospective applicant Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
BillyNoMates Spot the prospective Conservative....... Diamond Lil's 7
janner Submariners Tribute Submariners 3
T Earlier entry date for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
janner Submariners Memorial Appeal Submariners 0
P Ex crab applying to the submariners .... (dont hate me) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 120
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy Submariners Face Toughest Seafaring Test" Submariners 9
R Submariners. The Quarterdeck 15
janner We Remember Submariners. Submariners 16
klgreload Pay after phase 2 submariners. Finance & Pensions 7
A How long are medical assistant deployments for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 3
D Rum Ration . Have the Submariners subsumed it? The Gash Barge 25
janner Submariners Remembrance 2017 Submariners 8
NeedForTweed Submariners look at life course Jan 2017 Joining the Royal Navy 0
R Women submariners? Writer? Joining the Royal Navy 9
E submariners help Joining the Royal Navy 1
E submariners help! Submariners 5
ArmyFlying Royal Navy Submarines: A WW2 Submariners Story Submariners 0
ArmyFlying Royal Navy Submarines: A WW2 Submariners Story History 0
PedlarP RAN to offer Submariners up to $50,000 incentives Submariners 22
D Looking for new submariners wags Submariners 9
janner We Remember Submariners. Submariners 1
M Post for submariners on deployment Submariners 1
G submariners Submariners 18
G Submariners Home Leave. Current Affairs 11
C A few questions? (Submariners) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Submariners' Association - Annual Memorial Service - November 3rd 2013 Submariners 5
soleil "Submariners Set For Zombie Challenge" Submariners 7
slim One for the Submariners........Pocket SINS Current Affairs 8
oberon Diesel Boat Submariners DTS 2013 Social & Reunions 4
soleil BBC: "Submariners Punished For Drunken Misconduct" Submariners 22
soleil BFBS: "Submariners Weigh Up Health Message" Submariners 0
Z Question about my eligibility to join Submariners (dual nationality concern) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Herald: "Submariners To Hold A Service Of Remembrance" Submariners 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Submariners help marine Submariners 2
angry_mac Submariners, bunch of ******* pricks The Gash Barge 113
trelawney126 All Submariners to be taught Welsh Submariners 51
T Submariners' stories. Submariners 50
Seaweed Submariners' Memorial - Westminster Abbey Cloisters Submariners 5
janner Exploits of an X Craft Submariners Submariners 1
M Submariners not allowed to transfer to GS? Submariners 10
R Female Submariners Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Pompey News: "Submariners Wanted By Gosport Museum To Share Their War Stories" Submariners 0
ForcesJobShop Emplyment Opportunity: Submarine Engineers & Submariners The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
oldseadog Blyth: Submariners Service of Remembrance Submariners 0
soleil Courier (Dundee): "Dundee Service Honours Submariners' Sacrifice" Submariners 0
A Hello all you submariners :) Submariners 8