Prospective logistics officer - who am I responsible for?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Anon997, Apr 18, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently awaiting an AIB date and carrying out some preparatory research for my interview. One thing I am puzzled about is who, as a logistics officer, I am responsible for? Am I responsible for all ratings within logistics (the stewards, supply chain, chefs, writers etc)? Furthermore, are the senior ratings responsible for their own smaller branch (petty officer in the kitchen, the writers department etc) and then will they come to me if necessary?

Are all officers considered 'divisional officers', with my particular division being all ratings within the logistics branch?
  2. In the 1955 film Mr Roberts, Ensign Frank Thurlowe Pulver was responsible for laundry and morale. Hope that helps.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In action the Logistics Officer is responsible for whole ship Biological, Chemical, Radioactive and Nuclear defence including Damage Control & Firefighting operations.

In essence the Warfare Officer fights the ship external battle, the Logistocs Officer fights the internal battle enabling the ship (in ancienct parlance), to Fight, Move & Float.
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You'll find that the kitchen is called a galley
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

...and Writers Department etc., a bunk.:)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. But to answer part of the original question, yes, everyone in the Logs dept is yours, I bet a pound to a pinch of brown stuff that the Stewards will be your biggest divisional headaches :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Absolutely right. SO glad I never had the 'miscellaneous' division on the squadron, although my colleagues did get good at the procedures for the Cdr's/Capt's table. Bombheads were such a good bunch of lads :)