Proposed Reduction Top Brass

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Aug 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Tories want to cut the number of MPs by 50 from 650. The Lib Dems are refusing in a hissy fit over the HoL reforms.
  2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Inevitable really. When I joined we had a 4* as First and a 4* as CinCFleet. Fast forward 30 years, reduce the Navy by a third in manpower terms at least, and its very hard to justify the same level of management.
  3. What has the number of MPs to do with the number of senior occifers?
    The services (ALL) have had their numbers decimated, we certainly don't need the high numbers of senior occifers that are on the books:-?
  4. Admiral of the Fleet Sir Julian Oswald was a 5* as 1SL until retiring in 1993. His successor, Admiral of the Fleet Sir Benjamin Bathurst, was a 4* as 1SL and only promoted to 5* after retiring in 1996.

Admiral of the Fleet the Lord Fieldhouse was a 5* as Chief of the Defence Staff as recently as 1988. CDS is now a 4*.
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

5* got axed after the publication of the Bett report.

As in the US 5* is only awarded (and that rarely) by Congress, and their top 4*s are managing a rather larger business 'tis said, 5* had become a bit of an anachronism about forty years earlier. I think it was Bett who recommended changiung the officer career structure into initial commission, career commission etc so the service didn't get silted up with [passed-over 2 1/2s [Gosh that must have made Norman happy]. The Supplementary List introduced ca.1960 was in a way an earlier stab at this or rather extending the concept to fish-heads as the FAA were already on that basis for non-GL types. Entered as AVCADs I seem to recall.

In about 1970 there was a spate of 'Job Evaluation' in the forces but whether it really led to anything I don't know as I didn't stay long enough to find out.
  6. Seaweed

Honorary ranks with no cost implcations. How Guthrie came to pip Jock Slater for CDS is another issue.
  7. Seaweed

Looking at the overall scene as the politicos try to use the Armed Forces to divert attention from their own profligate waste of money and personal plundering of the public purse, as well as to score populist debating points among the ignorant, it might be worth noticing how vigorously the Royal Navy has cut back ashore and abroad in the last sixty years. At home, Chatham and Sheerness dockyards and Portland Naval Base have gone completely and Portsmouth and Devonport downgraded and private firms seem to have largely taken over what is left there and in Rosyth. Not in any particular order, HMSs Vernon, Dryad, Mercury, Haslar, Cambridge, Ceres, Osprey, Dolphin, Fisgard, Dauntless and Fraser gunnery range and Fort Purbrook have closed; the FAA is out of Lee, Lossie, Brawdy, Portland and numerous other air stations (Macrihanish, Abbotsinch anybody?) leaving just two; Royal is out of Deal and Eastney and perhaps elsewhere. Abroad we are out of Hong Kong, Singapore, Trincomalee, Simonstown, Aden and Bermuda. The RN has also largely shut down the afloat support provided by its depot and repair ships. Others my put up some additions to that scratch list. With these withdrawals many * posts have gone or been downgraded inluding all the overseas CinCs with their FO2s etc.

All these reductions have made good sense but one wonders what little tail there is left to cut.