Proposed Reduction in National Speed Limit

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by penrecon, Aug 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Care to tell us why you think this is stupidity????? If it saves lives then surely its a good thing, especially the way some people drive on rural roads, the old rally driver syndrome

2. The problem is there are quite a few single carriageway roads where 60 is quite a reasonable max speed, though I would agree that for the majority 50 is much more sensible, and in a proportio 40 is almost too fast.

I think it is high time that speed limits were set for the stretch of road rather than on a blanket basis. This is done in plenty of countries and doesn't seem to cause that much of a problem. Indeed often the reduction from the normal is a good sigh that extra attention is a good thing.

3. In daily commuting, I often use the unrestricted back lanes. The speed there is governed by width and severity of bends (ie, how far you can see round them) and, for long stretches, achieving even 35 would be a suicidal/homicidal luxury! The problem, as I see it, is the rural roads that aren’t that narrow and windy. Very often, the only safe way to get past a slow large vehicle (think 40ft milk tanker on a hill or tractor and muck cart) is to wind up to around 60. I would suggest that making 60 arbitrarily illegal would reduce traffic flow and make overtaking longer and less safe.

I remember when the National non motorway limit was 50 and it was a total bloody nuisance. It might pacify the hordes of gobby townies that have moved “up†to the country but I doubt it would add anything to road safety.

4. None of what you have said though justifes keeping a limit of 60 on roadss where as you point out 35 is suicidal. The overtaking bit is a red herring any way as I have yet to hear of some one getting a ticket for speeding whiklst overtaking. In fact in some more enlightened administrations the execution of a prompt overtaking manoeuvre is considered more iompartant than the speed limit and thus over rules it temproarily.

5. Speed kills.
    According to the government.

At what speed do you die then?

Based on its first survey of the causes of accidents (in 2005), the Department for Transport (DfT) has revealed that exceeding the speed limit is a factor in only two per cent of injury crashes involving drivers over the age of 25. For younger drivers, aged 17-25, the percentage is six per cent, and for the youngest, aged 17-19, it is eight per cent. Travelling too fast for the conditions, rather than exceeding the legal speed limit, is a factor in five, 11 and 14 per cent of crashes respectively.

The national speed limit was introduced in 1965, since then we have vehicles that have far better brakes, tyres and suspension and travel on roads with much better road surfaces and hazard warning signs. Vehicles are capable of stopping in much shorter distances than when the national speed limit was introduced yet they want to reduce the speed limit. I would suggest that inattentive or careless driving, driving too fast FOR THE CONDITIONS or LOCATION (ie near schools) is a far bigger factor than speed itself. A blanket reduction in the national speed limit will end up being ignored a lot of the time but I can see the government rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of all that revenue from the fines.

6. According to the TRL, speeding is only a factor in 6% of accidents. Britains safest roads are Motorways were the limit is 96MPH. So, being as how most accidents occur in built up areas under 30MPH so maybe we should raise the speed limit from 30 to 40 to improve road safety!

7. Maxi_77. I take your point but it raises a couple of questions;

a. does setting a speed limit reduce the need for common sense and good judgement from drivers?

b. if drivers can’t be trusted to be safe and sensible, would the speed limit for the entire road need to be the lowest that is considered safe for the most dangerous section?

That’s an interesting point about the unlikelihood of being hit for “safe†overtaking. When I did my “required†Speed Awareness course last year, a bloke there had done just that; overtaken a JCB on the only bit of road it was safe to do so. Unfortunately for him, it was the bit with yellow camera on it. He was told quite robustly that if it’s not safe to overtake inside the speed limit, you don’t overtake. I think the rather humourless lady driving examiner went on to say something to the effect that overtaking is a choice not a need. Personally, I shan’t bother putting it to the test.

Oil_Slick. Where's that Motorway with the 96 MPH Limit? I want to have a go.

8. If you read the original post we are talking about rural roads

I would be all for increasing the speed limit on motorways, but rural roads are a whole differente kettle of fish.

I like maxi's idea of looking at each stretch of raod under its own merits. The one that always springs to mind for me is the helston - redruth road jsut as you leave Helston, its absolutely lethal.

I wonder if the speed stats you quote take into account just road accidents? Its one thing a bit of a fender bender with two cars, but when you put pedestrians in the mix its a totally different issue. If you are suggesting that we increase the speed limit round urban areas to 40 mph then, you sir, are barking mad and I sincerely hope you don't have to drive past schools on a regular basis.

9. Having scraped the remains of a biker from the plough over here I think if the speed limit was reduced it may save lives. But I doubt it!

The 4x4 shite are the scum for this not giving a feck who is round the next corner. Might is right!!!!!!

10. In france it`s illegal for a HGV over 7.5 tonnes to follow closer than 75 yards …yet here in our green and pleasant tailgating by 35 tonne lorries on the motorways’ (or anywhere) seems to be a nation sport ..
    Will the (road safety) police ever do anything about it ….Nope…not till it’s a payer…

On the other hand they already have the cameras in position.. so reducing the speed limits will immediately bring an increase in revenue…

Or am I just being cynical

….

11. Cynical, not at all under the present system

IIRC Germany has tailgating cameras which are adjustable according to the weather, but no speed cameras on the autobahns. I would think this would be a better solution to the problems encountered on our motorways

12. BINGO!!!! We have a winner!

This 'innitiative' has got fvck all to do with 'road safety' and everything to do with raising revenue.

13. Its not speed limits that want cutting .Its the necks of those that break them(idiotic twats).

14. Not ever having being a driver, so can look at this a little bit more dispassionately, think Uncle Albert has it spot on - it's all about revenue, and can't be called a stealth tax - which is what it will be.

15. Not sure how they can define Rural roads
    Am in Scotland and a lot of A roads are rural in places passing through countryside areas

Apart from that the councils in Scotland have the powers to put up
    speed restrictions on various roads anyway.

Am in agreement regarding the accident rates and speeding --its a
    known fact that most accidents are due to 'careless 'drivers .
    Inexperience or taking chances with road or traffic conditions.

G

16. Same here the council have power to impose limits for safety IE outside schools etc but like everywhere they go too far :?

17. if im on the open road with nobody around, i like to boot it whilst remaining safe as possible, and reducing the speed limit will not save lifes, it will infuriate more drivers who get stuck behind a old man/woman going 40 (to be safe), thus enraging someone behind to overtake raising the risk on an accident even more!!

18. Are you involved in the justice system Maxi? I am, admittedly here in Germany, but we get plenty of cases where people have been done for improper overtaking and speeding in one go. Including one retd (retarded?) officer, who by virtue of his job, should have known better than to try and deny it in writing, but ended up dropping himself even deeper in it. Back on track, the speed limit should suit the road. I have seen plenty of roads in Cornwall, where even 15 mph would be adventurous.